This Disappears When Logged In

Well, This is New...

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Dragoness, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Peeking in on my snakes today, I noticed that Jacket's face looked 'off' to me. So I pestered him for a closer look. Could barely believe my eyes.

He managed to puncture his own lip with one of his teeth. It appears to be still attached, though I am not going to poke or prod lest I break it or create complications.

In this picture you can see how he just looks a little 'off'
    Tooth1.jpg

Zoomed in:
    tooth2.JPG
    tooth3.JPG

He has an appointment with his vet for 3:00 on Tuesday. At the moment he is showing no signs of ill-health. I will dab with betadine to minimize risk of infection until the vet has seen him. I'm not sure how he did this...

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is bizarre. I wonder if it recently happened or if his mouth is "stuck" as a result. You may find that he does a yawn and its all clear from there.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'll be watching for sure - His mouth looked funny right after eating on Sunday night, but I attributed it to having not yet yawned and 'reset' everything after a meal... but it goes right through the scale...

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Heard of weird stuff like thks but never seen it. Hope everything goes well.

5. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Happened to my jcp as well, I used soft tong tweezers and pulled the skin back and up off the teeth, was very easy and the snake was much happier than if I would have left it in pain for several days till my vet had a chance to look at it....

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As it is, the appointment was tomorrow, but the vet called today to ask if I could reschedule... (No option, really) but he is going to call me tomorrow, and tell me what he thinks we should do.

Then, while they had me on the phone:

"We have another client looking to re-home a snake. He is moving into an apartment that does not permit reptiles. Are you interested?"

I am going to look at a red-tail boa tomorrow morning. He comes with cage and accessories. If I can make him fit, great, but timing couldn't be worse, lol. In the middle of a colossal remodel at my house right now.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well now you can work in the new snake tank into the remodel. ;)

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He may end up being a new coffee table, lol.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, because of the emergency with the new snake, Jacket's appointment was postponed until Saturday.

I spoke with my vet about Jacket while I was there with the new snake, and he said all they usually did was slide the lip off, and pretty much described what Pituophis described. He said on occasion, they actually break a tooth off if it is too entangled, and told me I could give it a shot if I felt confident.

Called the vet today to cancel jacket's appointment. The lip came off the tooth just fine. I just have to observe for swelling, or any complications, and reschedule if anything arises. So far, everything looks normal.