This Disappears When Logged In

Well Here Goes....

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Ace, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Thanks Liz

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

ahem, Pictures???

3. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I will work on it! I promise lol

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Ok so I am not sure what to do...

I talked to the guys at the pet store and they don't carry fruit flies (wingless or otherwise) But they mentioned that I could start my own culture.
    I have heard of people doing this but I am not sure I have that kind of time, the guy at the pet store said I should be fine if I started them today or tomorrow. Also he suggested that I take a canning jar cover it with a paper towel and mix mashed potato flakes and brewers yeast at the bottom and I should get some flies...Is that really what I should do?

He mentioned that he could order me some pinn head crickets and that he could only get them in groupings of 1000 and this is where we disagreed he thinks that my three tads will eat all of them before they die and I just don't think that's the case. Because unless I am wrong here the crickets will grow faster than the tad's thus become to big for them to eat eventually. Am I wrong?

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

6. Ace

Ace Elite Member

That's what I told the guy and he insisted that they would be fine! I guess I look gullible.
    I have three tad's, I was looking at the big apple hers site, I am confused about the ordering though What kit do you think would be my best option? I was thinking that the kit with 3 culture packs would be the best am i wrong? I know I am such a pain.......

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A cricket's entire lifespan is only 8 weeks!
    The growth rate is phenominal and the guy was just pushing to make a sale.

8. schlegelbagel

If a single pack comes with 50 flies... they WILL keep reproducing for about 6 weeks. Then you may be able to move onto pinheads. Its not like you are feeding like I'm feeding 17 toads... However I'm guessing they will eat a bit more than my toads did, since they are a little bigger.

Do you have any other animals that would eat the crickets?

9. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Nope no others that eat crickets that's where I am having some trouble.

I told my husband an easy way to solve it would be to go ahead and get a leopard gecko, but for some reason he didn't think that was a good solution!

I lucked out and found a pet store that is ordering some Fruit flies and they should be in tonight! So tomorrow I will head over there and pick up a culture for $9.95. They said they aren't sure how many are in a single pack but they have seen hundreds come from just one culture! YIPEEE

10. schlegelbagel

I have been feeding my brood off one culture for about 6 weeks now. I have a 2nd culture brewing right now. Good luck!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey it was worth a try!

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Well guys I did have 3 healthy froglettes they had a great appetite and were very energetic. When I came home today they were dead....I don't know what happened I had a dish of water that they got in and out of frequently and had misted down the enclosure well before I left. I don't know what I did, the only thing I know is I let them down......:( thanks everyone for your help I am sure I let you guys down as well.

13. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

Sorry to hear about your loss Audrey :(

14. schlegelbagel

Sorry about that Audry. Tadpoles to froglets are a hard thing to deal with. The smallest thing can go wrong. For all you know, there was something wrong with them to begin with.

15. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Thanks guys, It just makes me feel bad I am pretty sure I did everything right maybe it was aftershock of being in old dirty chlorinated water for so long before I got them.....

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am just guessing, maybe you should have ween them off the dirty water to clean water, like we are suppose to do with fish??? I'm wrong, I know it.

17. schlegelbagel

Its not the dirty that probably did it, it's the chlorine. It damages their fragile skin. Probably got them out too late.

18. Ace

Ace Elite Member

:( Oh well now that's left is an empty tank poor baby's..............

19. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry!! Keep searching around - you could find more. I had a batch last summer, my last one I think - and all three of the ones I kept died.

I think it was something wrong with them. You tried to save them, Liz is probably right - the chlorine is very bad for them.

You did your best, and tried. Don't be so hard on yourself!

20. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I'm surprised the eggs even made it in chlorinated water to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.