This Disappears When Logged In

Weird Skin/scale Problem on Green Iguana???

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by iggytoobiggy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. iggytoobiggy

iggytoobiggy New Member

Hi all, new here.
    I recently went and rescued a young green iguana from someone who had no idea what they were doing. When I picked him up they had him in their old hamster cage, with the old bedding and smells from the hamsters. When we got home I noticed that on his legs it looks like he's missing patches of scales. I have since moved him to his temporary set up in a 4x3x2.5 with repti carpet, plenty of UVB/UVA, basking spot and the temp. Gradient sits where it needs to day and night. I keep humidity up with a fogger 2 days a week and spray the other days with water. He eats very well, goes to the bathroom and is a very active and friendly little guy (a lot more so than others I have handled) and he has been shedding. I feed him mainly collared greens and kale with Veges and the occasional fruit mixed in. I give him a calcium supplement also. But back to the problem of his scales, I am waiting on the vet to get back from vacation (his relief does not see reptiles) and I really want to know if there is something I can do in the mean time while I wait to help this little guy out. Any suggestions or have an idea what it actually is???

image.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like a burn.

3. iggytoobiggy

iggytoobiggy New Member

I thought that at first too, but it's on all four legs.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Was there a hot rock? Sometimes such burns occur from them laying on it trying to get warm in a too cool cage.

5. iggytoobiggy

iggytoobiggy New Member

I would never use one, but I wouldn't put it past the woman I got him from. After a lot of searching I think they are burns. The only vet around here that sees reptiles is out of town so while I'm waiting for him I've been giving providone iodine (betadine) baths and triple antibiotic ointment daily. I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do until he gets back.