This Disappears When Logged In

Weird Noise, Tons of Yawning

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Vigarious, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Vigarious

Vigarious New Member

Hey everyone, new here. My BP is yawning back to back, has been for 10 minutes or so. Did it last night around this same time as well. He last ate 10\12, has been having normal poops, last shed was flawless. Eats every week without problems. There is no wheezing, drooling, bubbles or anything like that. He is also pushing his face against the tank and his hide. Once last night, and once just now he has made a very loud odd noise, kind of like a plastic grocery bag rustling, or a vibration. Any ideas? First snake, worried for his health. Oh, temps are fine, humidity is good.

Edit: He does appear to have a little bit of substrate on one side of his mouth (inside). Not much, but its there. I use Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Sorry to be blunt but we have no idea if your temps and humidity are indeed fine. As this is your firs post we would love to know how your measuring temps and humidity as well as housing conditions. This info can help guide us to a better understanding of your abilities and your husbandry skills :)

Please fill us in with some background about you and your snake :)

3. Vigarious

Vigarious New Member

78 cool side 90 warm side, 92degree hotspot, 56% humidity. I measure with 1 digital thermometer for ambient temp, a digital hydrometer, and a +-.5degree temperature gun for surface temps. The tank is 30 gallon, plastic with aeration on the side, bedding is coconut fiber. He eats once a week, every week, hasn't skipped eating since I picked him up 4 months ago. Hes from a pet store, exact age not known but ~5 months. I have not measured\weighed him yet. His first shed was bad, had humidity too low, the rest have been one piece w\ eyecaps. Let me know if you need more information.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Id check the mouth if I was convinced he didnt have any respiratory symptoms but the yawning and rubbing continues. You'll have to gently restrain the head. It wont be very pleasant for him but thats where id check.

5. Vigarious

Vigarious New Member

Alright, will do. What exactly should I look for?

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

And how long ago was the last shed? Just wondering if it's possibly about to shed again.

7. Vigarious

Vigarious New Member

Shedded about 1.5 weeks ago. I think the noise was actually just very loud flatulence. It seems to resolved itself after he passed what appears to be pure fur. This is the first time its happened, and it happened a few days after a normal stool. Is this common?

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Lol, while they don't do it a lot, snakes can indeed have gas, and the first time you hear it will really mess with your head if your not expecting it. Double check your hot spot and other parameters in the cage, and just keep an eye on things. Now imagine having a snake in the neighborhood of 13-14' do that when you have no clue it can happen and no internet to ask questions. Was half convinced my girl was going to die for a minute that day.