This Disappears When Logged In

Weird Light Need Help

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by joshbafford, Nov 13, 2015.

1. joshbafford

joshbafford Member

I got a light for my Nile monitor. When it showed up it had a socker I have never seen before and iv been looking around to no avail.... anybody here evee seen this and where do I buy bulbs for it

Attached Files:

2. grackle

grackle Member

There is no brand or writing on it at all? Can you add any clues?

3. joshbafford

joshbafford Member

No branding or wrighting that would help distinguish it. The only thing that didn't seem like a regular light to me was a ring with springs on it instead of a normal clamp

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Picture is too dark for me to really see what you have. Where did you get the bulb, and what brand?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you take a clearer photo of the whole bulb (and of your monitor and it`s enclosure, too)? Thanks!

6. joshbafford

joshbafford Member

I found it actually today. It's a zilla mini halogen lamp. It basically just takes car head lights from what I can see. I'll post some better pics of the monitor enclosure when I get home today

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If it`s one of the small diameter bulb faces it`s not suitable at all because even if it`s flood beam it will be a very small area that was heated and it could easily cause a serious burn, much safer are the par 30 or par 38 (the "par" refers to the bulb face diameter)..
    This is an example of the type I use, there are many brands....
    mxcp020_zps63a7c6b5.jpg

8. joshbafford

joshbafford Member

Not sure if this is what you mean but I got the 50 watt night bulb and it should be 18 inches away from him at all times, could that still ca use a problem

Attached Files:

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never heard or used these bulbs, but 50w at a distance of 18inches shouldn`t be emitting that much heat? If it were me I wouldn`t use it until you get more info.
    When you say night bulb, if it`s only to keep the nighttime temps up I would use either a ceramic heat emitter or an infrared bulb.
    Just to clarify, what type of basking bulbs are you using?

10. joshbafford

joshbafford Member

I three other lights that all use regular screw in bulbs I have a 100 watt uva day bulb and a 100 watt ceramic with a 75 watt zoo med basking bulb. His set up now is nice and warm with a proper gradient but ya know you can never have enough lights. Even if I don't use it right now it may come in handy later on.. kind of a better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.