This Disappears When Logged In

Weak Boa/pink Belly

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Andrewobrien, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Andrewobrien

Andrewobrien New Member

Im starting to worry about this boa i got off a guy from Cl a couple days ago, he seemed healthy when i got him and now hes not looking that good. He is very weak and cant even grip around my hand like a normal boa or python would do. he has an all around pink color on him. Ive looked for mites and havent seen any, ive put him in my bath with warm water a couple times now. I have him in a 15 gallon with aspen for right now, he has heat and water and everything he needs. I dont know much background info on him though. Anyone have suggestions on what to do? One last thing ive noticed about him is he seems a bit squishy and not nearly as strong and built as a normal boa should be. Ive attatched some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Beautiful boa! Do you hear a weazing or popping noise when he breathes? Does he move around in his cage?

3. Andrewobrien

Andrewobrien New Member

thanks! no he breathes fine, and he moves from hot to cool side every once in a while.

4. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I'm not sure about the other symptoms, but his coloration looks fine. Hoggs tend to have a pink tint to them, mine has that also. If he's weak and limp and his muscle definition is poor I would get him to a good herp vet ASAP. Could be serious.

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hey there. The pink coloration is normal for Hoggs. I've bought snakes that seemed weak and kind of squishy as you described and honestly all of the snakes I've gotten like that were from breeders. Sometimes if snakes aren't handled and taken out for exercise (since some breeders don't handle their animals regularly), they can lose muscle tone and start to get squishy feeling and weak. that being said, you should take him to the vet just to be safe since A) he's a newly acquired animal and B) he's weak but I'm guessing he's just not used to being handled or exercising