This Disappears When Logged In

Wattage

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by CodyGalvan, Nov 19, 2014.

1. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

OK I don't have a thermometer yet but I have a question.. Is a 150 watt light to much watts for a 50 gallon tank or is it safe to use till I get a paycheck and can afford a thermometer?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You HAVE to have a good thermometer. Without it you have no idea whether you are keeping the iguana too cool or roasting it!

To be honest if you are having this much trouble paying for a thermometer or a basking bulb you might need to rethink this. The costs of keeping the ig are going to get higher and higher.
    For example you will need a UVB generating bulb. And those things start at about 20 dollars. And we aren't talking about the little compact curled bulbs. Those don't work. And the bulbs have to be changed out every 6 months.
    As a long time iguana keeper I can tell you that it is going to require quite a bit of cash to keep this guy.

3. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

No I just need to get a paycheck.
    I'll b fine.. What do u suggest for a affordable thermometer

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

You say you'll be fine .. but what happens when yiy have to get a bigger set up? Or it gets sick? Or low on food between checks? I don't have anything that gets quite as big as an iggy, but from CWD set ups, its not cheap. And neither are vet bills...

5. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

Nevermimd I'll find else where to get info. But thnx for Ur help

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Anywhere that's any good is going to tell you the same thing. We're just being honest and have the animals best interest in mind.

7. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

I've never hone without the things I need.. I might not be rich and I struggle.. But I love my iguana like family and I will provide what ever he needs.. I just have to work hard for it..

8. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Re: thermometers, you can find a decent digital thermometer with a probe at Walmart for around $12. I know RBI has some as well, also $12, but why wait if you can grab one at Wally World. As for whether the bulb is alright, it's really hard to say since there's a lot of variables - room temp, height of the cage, distance between bulb and basking spot. Put some climbing branches there so he can move up and down (closer/further from the lamp) obviously not close enough to touch it. And watch him, if he's spending all his time on the opposite end of the cage then maybe it's too hot.

9. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

Thnx.. He spends most his time on his log that is actually slanted just how u described.. I get PaiD Friday so I'll go check really world out then.. Thnx for the help.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe not. But right now your iguana IS doing without the things that IT needs.
    I am not trying to be mean but you seem to feel that its ok to keep an animal whose very existence is tied to the temperature of it's environment, for periods of time with lack of those proper temperatures. Reptiles are not like warm blooded animals. They HAVE to be kept at the proper temperatures for the bodies to function. If not,...they die!

Would YOU want to be sitting out in freezing temperatures for a week or so while your parents debated whether or not to toss you a blanket?

This has been one of the problems with green iguanas in the pet trade. They are CHEAP to purchase. And people often think that they can get by with the paltry offerings the pet store told them that they would need. Because if the pet stores actually told people what they would need they would lose the sale. That little 12 dollar lizard ends up costing hundreds of dollars just to set up a proper environment. And that is just the beginning! there will be a constant stream of maintenance upkeep and replacements that will constantly be draining more and more money.
    And without a proper environment, the lizard is not going to survive!

11. CodyGalvan

CodyGalvan Member

Thnx for Ur conserns I'm actually going to Walmart now for one...

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear it. We're not trying to give you a hard time, but you kind of come off as one of the thousands of people who buy an iguana as an impulse purchase, maybe because you had an empty tank sitting around, and did no reasearch beforehand, and just went off what the pet store told you. To be blunt, proper setup, which includes ways to monitor temps and humidity, and proper lighting, should all have been in place before the ig was ever brought home. Now we really do want to help you do what's in your iguanas best interest. But as Merlin said, the purchase price of the animal is utterly insignificant compared to housing and maintenance needed. Now to answer the question, the Accurite brand units available at Walmart and Lowes are fairly decent and low cost. I know your already on your way to get one, so this is probably a bit late, but when you set it up, put the base unit inside the cage at the cool end, and attach the probe to the basking site. As was already said, bulbs wattage and placement will depend a lot on ambient room temps and the other factors mentioned, as well as whether you have a screen lid or something else. If you could post some pkcture of the setup, we can help you fine tune it to be a proper environment, at least while you work on getting a bigger cage built.