This Disappears When Logged In

Water Snake Emergency

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by crondiesel, Nov 12, 2012.

1. crondiesel

crondiesel Banned User

So iv been looking at him and he has a whole bunch of tiny white bugs on him. what do you think it can be?!?! i hope it isnt mites the bugs are to small and move way to fast to take a picture, im worried my other animals will get it can anyone help me

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What's the substrate? They are probably wood mites and are harmless to your reptiles just annoying. Several of my cages have them and I can't get rid of them for any length of time so I gave up.
    If you have wood chips, cypress mulch, of Eco earth the mites will be in them.

3. crondiesel

crondiesel Banned User

im using sandy soil, but i do have wood that i broght in from out side so that is probally what they are

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ahh there you go. With the outside soil you should be able to douse in a bleach solution and then bake them and that should kill off the bugs. Though the entire cage will also need to be cleaned with bleach solution and the substrate changed.

5. crondiesel

crondiesel Banned User

oh well im putting him in a new enclsoure soon how do i get off just the wood mites from him? and im going to just buy new hides and stuff too

6. sharkyy

sharkyy Well-Known Member

Give him a soak in luke warm water. That should get them off. But if they are in the enclosure they will most likely come back!! Cleaning the enclosure will permanently get rid of them! Also you should soak the wood to get them out of that as well.
    You should really soak anything that you get from outside to make sure it is clean and has no bugs, etc. that can harm your reptiles :)

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You should give him several baths in a row. Until there are no more bugs on the water. And you will either want to freeze the ticks overnight or bake them for a while to kill off any bugs and eggs. Also any substrate should be frozen as well to kill any potential bugs.