This Disappears When Logged In

Water Drainage

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by angelann1994, Nov 11, 2015.

1. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

What would be the best solution to keep the bottom of the cage flooding? Right now we have potty training puppy pads in the bottom to soak up the bottom, but we have to change them out a few times a day. Also, I would rather not have to do that every single day for the rest of my chameleon's life. Any tips?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And tell us the source of the flooding.

4. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

I will post a picture of the enclosure in a bit. I have no pictures on my computer, just my phone. I'll have to connect my phone to the computer to get the pictures. The flooding is from the misting system. I have a mist king that goes off a few times a day to keep the humidity in the right range. I have a 24x24x6 pan in the bottom so the water isn't overflowing onto the ground or anything. Quite a bit of water accumulates in the pan, though.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's awesome to have the water in the pan. Great for helping with humidity. What you need is a false floor that the Cham can walk on and yet let water pass through.
    One idea might be to cut a piece of lighting crate to sit on top of the pan and then cover that with some coco-fiber matting.

EDIT: Another thing that might help is to put some heat tape on the bottom of the pan to help evaporate the water. Man, I'm full of ideas today ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  6. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

This is his enclosure. It's pretty new so I'm adding more little by little. It was more bare than that when I first got him. He lived with a woman for about 2 years before me and there wasn't much in there with him when I got him. I put some new vines in and it seemed to freak him out and he wouldn't move around much, so I don't wanna change everything all at once. He seems to be more "okay" with the change when I do it a little bit at a time. He is more comfortable observing the new things and deciding whether or not he likes them when I do it little by little rather than changing everything all at once.

Attached Files:

7. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

This was the way it was set up when we received it.

Attached Files:

8. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

Someone suggested me to put a layer of little pebbles in the bottom and put a mesh on top of the pebbles. Then, put a layer of soil on top of the mesh. I can't decide whether or not I want him to be able to access the soil or not. Someone I know lost one of their chams because it ate the soil, which probably caused it to become impacted :( If i decide to let him be able to touch the soil I will probably put Sphagnum moss on top of the soil. If not, I'll put large rocks on top of the soil. (Not huge rocks. I mean rocks that would be too big for a cham to swallon.)

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, impaction is caused by too low temps and perhaps dehydration, if they have supportive conditions swallowing a little soil accidently shouldn`t cause a problem.
    There would be no harm in covering the soil with moss if it makes you feel better.

10. angelann1994

angelann1994 Member

The temps in my enclosure never get below 70 or above 80 (fahrenheit). Would those temps be okay in regards to impaction? The lady said the cham was actually eating the soil, so I don't know... It was a hatchling

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The ambient air temperature needs to be between 75-80 degrees thus allowing for thermo regulation to take place.
    The basking temperature needs to be around 95 degrees.