This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Wanted

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Nate2007, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Nate2007

Nate2007 New Member

I am new to purchasing reptiles and am interested in getting a water dragon. However, I have heard that buying through pet stores and online stores aren't really the best ways to go because of parasites and whatnot. I am having a hard time finding water dragon breeders to buy from. Does anybody know of any good breeders I might be able to work with?

2. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

Well before you get the water dragon, what are you planning on housing him in? Like as an adult?

3. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

I would definitely do the research first if you haven't yet and make sure a wd would fit into your lifestyle. Both of my wd's and my leo gecko came from the same pet store. They both had parasites and they were treated with meds for a few days or so and that was it. I was told by another reptile only pet store that it's hard to find breeders because 90% (or some high number) in captivity were wild caught. I don't know how true that is but I never found a breeder where I live. I'm sure it would be a better bet if you could find one, but as long as you have the finances and an excellent exotic vet, I think you will be fine if you end up purchasing one from the shop. Either route you go, a vet check-up is beneficial for you and your new friend. It's great to have a fecal done and get a record started on him. Good luck with your mission. ;)

4. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

If this is your first reptile I highly suggest you don't get a water dragon...

5. Nate2007

Nate2007 New Member

I have a 4x3x2 as of right now for the enclosure. I have done my research and everything, I just needed help finding a breeder.

6. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

i can tell you from experince that they are alot of take care of. i own one for my first reptile. it turned out to be alot more than i thought it was all gonna be. i might be rehoming him to my cusion who has kept them before. its just alot of responsibity and if ur not home alot to mist cage 3-4 times a day and change the water and spot clean. i have owned my wd for only a month and a half and i have putt easly 300-400 dollars into it so far. they arnt cheap or easy to take care of. they need alot of attetion from there owner. baths everyday. changing water is important because of bactera

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are breeders out there, but they are few and far between. Most CWD you see in the US are wild caught.

8. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I read up for about a year before I decided a CWD was right for me

9. Nate2007

Nate2007 New Member

Why did you have to put 300-400 dollars into your dragon? Does that include habitat and enclosure?

10. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

I have actually heard people putting well over $5000 into it.

11. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

^^ Our enclosure is within the 2000 range. And i custom built the top. Interior decor is not cheap, and thats alot of space to fill. Not to mention the light bulbs and hoods.

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I just love your enclosure, I was just checking it out earlier. Gives me inspiration, you took your time and it turned out amazing.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My water dragon was free, as was the cage she currently lived in, though it needed about $200 worth of work to be suitable for her.

I will be building her a new cage in March, and am fully expecting to spend $500 or more on it.

She has cost me a pretty penny in vet bills, mostly because she is a rehab animal. I think her eye alone cost me something like $140, and that was just one visit.

Make sure you do tons and Tons and TONS of research. an improperly cared for CWD will cost you a ton of $. There are numerous problems they are prone to if everything is not just perfect in their habitat.

Substrate causes eye problems, because they often manage to get it in their eye. Just take a peruse through the water dragon threads, and see how many are about eye problems.

Since most are WC, they often need wormed.

Many develop MBD from improper diet, supplementation, or lighting, the effects of which are permanent, and range from merely disfiguring, to paralyzing/disabling, to lethal.

They can develop a taste or dislike of certain foods, so you'll need to have a variety available to make sure you have something they will actually eat.

Fungal infections are not unknown.

Make sure you know where a good herp vet in your area is, and that you can afford not only a few hundred on caging, but a few hundred on vet bills should such a need arise.

Are you prepared to drop $60 on a light bulb?

Like any animal, they make great companions if you can do your research and care for them well. But I really don't think they are a great beginner reptile because their needs are complex.

14. Nate2007

Nate2007 New Member

Why so much?

15. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Thank you very much. Im going to be re-designing a cage for him soon since my Waterfall feature was a failure the first time around. And its going to be alittle bigger for his full grown self.

Just wait till you see the custom built vivarium for my RETF I just finished. Im very happy with its overall look and its about 2 coats of paint away from finished!

To keep it back on subject. Dont forget about the light bulbs adding to your electrical bill... Mines gone up substantually since we added all our little friends.

16. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

building enclousure and i dont have real plants. vet trip gas to get there cause there wasnt one close.i could have spent much more if i got the real plants and the fog system and the right water caseing for the pond i wanted i could have easly droped more than that. in another year im gonna have to do it again for a bigger forever home which has to be atleast 6 feet tall and 3 feet deep and wide.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm assuming you're asking about the $60 light bulb.

Finding light bulbs that give off UVB (Not just UVA, but specifically UVB) is a trick. UVB is a MUST for your CWD. There are 2 kinds that give off UVB. If the package does not specifically say UVB,. then there is no UVB. All lights give off UV(A) so packaging that says it gives off UV/UVA is just a marketing ploy.

The fluorescent (Which only project it 12", and some types of these cause eye problems in reptiles.) and must be replaced every 6 months. Since fluorescents don't give off heat, you will also have to have a basking lamp for heat. Finding the right mix of having a basking spot with 12" of your fluorescent, and at the right temperature can be a trick. Also, the farther from the fluorescent, the less UVB there is. At 12", you get a little. At 6" you get more. etc.

Also, anything like glass, window screen, PVC, plex, etc will filter out UVB. The less between the bulb and your dragon, the healthier it will be.

The other type of bulb is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, (Mega Ray is the best one - http://www.reptileuv.com) They produce heat and UVB both, and project the UVB up to six feet. Finding the right basking spot is much simpler now. Mega Rays run about $60, but last 9-12 months.

If you are lucky enough to live in an area where you can build an outdoor enclosure for your CWD to spend a lot of time in (Subtropical climate) then UVB is less of a worry, as you can get it naturally from the sun. You'd still need to provide it during cooler months when your CWD is indoors though.

18. Goodkat

Goodkat Member