This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Swollen Gums?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Ryouko, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ryouko

Ryouko New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello. I purchased my water dragon about 8 months ago. He was incredibly young and he's grown into a colorful young man. However, this swelling started forming on the sides of his mouth. I am really concerned and not sure how to treat it. It's not bloody but dry. He rubs his nose a lot against the glass. I've tried so many solutions, but hes just too used to being out on my shoulder. Any ideas on what this on his mouth could be and any suggestions for the glass dancing? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would recommend you take the dragon to a vet asap, it`s not necessarily stomatitis ("mouthrot") at this stage, but an examination of the interior of the mouth is required to determine the extent of the damage (any infection).
    Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions? Thanks!

3. Majrab1389

Majrab1389 Member

I would have a look in his mouth to see how it looks and to see if there is anything lodged inside, or for any discharge in the mouth, but more often than not, it's mouth rot.
    Mouth rot can be caused by a couple of different things, an injury from eating live prey, improper temperatures or humidity, improper diet, injury to the face from rubbing on the enclosure or eating the bedding.

I would make sure your temperature and humidity levels are on point, I would also read up on good diets as well as bedding options, and check your enclosure size.

The snout rubbing on the glass can also be caused by a few things such as them simply seeing their own reflection (they aren't always social lizards, check to see if he head bobs a lot or waves his hand as these can be territorial behaviors), and most commonly face rubbing is due to improper enclosure sizes.
    I've seen a basic rule of thumb floating around the Internet and it hasn't been wrong for anyone yet:
    Adult water dragons need an enclosure that is roughly 6'Hx4'Lx2'D. It is said that adults can live in a 75-90 gallon enclosure but that's when they have freedom in the house (hard to keep up temps and humidity that way) about 75% of the time, so basically they just sleep in there at night. If that isn't possible everyday it's best if you go with the adult enclosure size (the 6x4x2).
    You can keep juvenile dragons in a 75-90 gallon until they reach roughly 18-20 inches in total length. After which they will need to go into the full enclosure.
    If your temperature and humidity are at the correct levels, you have proper lighting and substrate, and the enclosure is a good size then (for the snout rubbing) I would cover up the glass on the bottom of the enclosure. I'd say 4-6inches high should help block him from seeing his reflection. If you have made all of the proper changes and his condition does not go away or it spreads (when in doubt always take them in) I would recommend that you immediately take him to your nearest exotic vet!
    (If everything else comes back good and it's due to the enclosure being too small, your dragon is bored and needs more time out or more room to roam everyday)
    As Murrindindi said a trip to the vet would be best and posting pictures of the enclosure would give everyone a better idea of suggestions on how to help.
    (Sometimes putting tall plants along the glass helps block reflections as well)

Sorry this was all over the place. For some reason my phone won't let me edit anywhere other than where I'm typing, so please ignore my spelling errors ;)

Give us an update so we know how everything is going!