This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Sizing?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Nicolerage, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Nicolerage

Nicolerage Member

We just measured my water dragon and he's measuring 10 1/2 inches. I'm not sure how old he is now but about how long will it take for him to be fully grown? I'm pretty sure he's male, he eats medium crickets dusted with calcium, fruits and mealworms. His enclosure is a 45gal reptile tank.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi growth rate will depend on the conditions and amount of food consumed (I know I`m stating the obvious) so can you give details and show a few photos of the whole enclosure, including a top view? Thanks!

3. Nicolerage

Nicolerage Member

14908129523831529735331.jpg my phone memory won't allow me to take a second picture. He gets about 8-10 medium crickets per day dusted with calcium, kale with live mealworms and we give him a plate of other mixed veggies once a week. His cage is 45gal and we usually keep one light towards the center and one on the left side on during the day and keep the blue light on at night

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo, you haven`t given any details of the ambient (air) and basking surface temps or the humidity range and how you measure all those. Is the top completely covered and can you also tell me the brand of the heat bulb and UVB bulb/tube?
    The fishtank is not at all suitable other than very temporarily because it`s too small, open on all sides (that can be very stressful for the lizard) also any water used for bathing needs to be heated to around 27c or so (80f +) and I don`t see a heater in the small water dish....
    Edit: I cannot see a basking site, where is it?

5. Nicolerage

Nicolerage Member

The air inside stays approx 90 on one side and 75-80 on the other side. We bought the zoomed brand lights for him my fiance says he's pretty sure they're both 60. Humidity stays above 70. We have The little gauges that stick on from Petco (not the sticker kind because those are sketchy) I wasn't really thinking about a basking spot because he sits on his vine near the lamp or sits on his waterfall/mountain cage decoration. And where can I get a water heater? I was looking at the heating pads that stick on the cage or go under it but the man selling them said he wouldn't personally use them because they get too hot easily(I think zoomed was the brand). And his cage was bought from Petco and the box said it was for reptiles not fish. I put foil over the top because I've read that helps alot.the tops one of the mesh screen ones

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, thanks for more details. The analogue gauges are often very inaccurate (as much as 15%+) which means you/we have no idea what the temps and humidity are, you urgently need a digital hygrometer, I believe you can buy them in Lowes or Walmart for around $13. You also urgently need an IR "Temp-gun" to measure the surface temp at the basking site, I`m not sure where you get those, although I think that they too are quite cheap, hopefully an American member will advise where to buy.. Give me 2 minutes I`ll put links up to show what you need...
    EDIT: Can you put a photo up of the whole top and tell me the make of the heat/UVB bulbs/tube and take a pic of those, too?

Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer Combined Gauge with remote probes Max/Min | eBay

Non-Contact IR Infrared Digital Temperature Temp Thermometer Laser Gun UK M3K4 | eBay

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ll add this; the petstores will often say anything in order to make a sale, the fishtank is definitely NOT suitable except very temporarily. It`s usually easier and much cheaper to build a custom enclosure yourself...
    A small aquarium heater is all you need, although obviously the container itself will need to be an appropriate size, I think the smallest is around 25w, you can leave them running 24/7 and 365 days a year, they are extremely economical....

Hidom ProHeat Quartz Aquarium Heater Submersible Fish Tank Thermostat 25 to 500w | eBay

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017