This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Shed Help

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Raigo, May 29, 2018.

1. Raigo

Raigo Member

I have a juvenile water dragon that recently started to shed. I have a humidifier for the enclosure and have been giving baths for it to soak daily. It also has a pool in the enclosure that it uses. I got some of the loose shed off with a q-tip but it hasn't progressed any further. I can see where the old skin is still but I don't know what else I can do to help the shed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions including the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and how you measure all those?
    You should not be force bathing the lizard, if it`s having problems shedding it indicates the conditions need some adjustment.

3. Raigo

Raigo Member

Okay good to know, I thought you were supposed to bathe them only if they were having shed issues. I have a digital thermometer to measure the temp at different points and a cheap hygrometer, I know I need to get a better one but I haven't been able to find any around me yet. The humidity reads 75-80% and temps are 89F in the basking spot, the ambient temp ranges from 78-85F from cool to warm end, and the water temp is 86F. I have an UTH and filter for the pool, and my lizard poops in the water when they didn't before. It also splashes around on a daily basis since I added the filter so the water isn't still. 20180530_185833.jpg 20180530_185739.jpg

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, thanks for the photos. You can only measure the ambient (air) temps with the digital thermometer you also need an IR Temp-gun to measure the surface temps at the basking site, I`ll put a link up...
    There is too much empty space above ground you need to add much more "decoration" so the lizard can make use of it`s "house".
    If it`s a cheap hygrometer I`ll guess analogue, if that`s the case you/we have no idea what the actual humidity range might be because they can be very inaccurate (15%+) you can buy the digital type from Walmart or Lowes/similar for around $13. I cannot say where you get the Temp-gun other than try Amazon or ebay (not expensive but very accurate)..
    What type and wattage are the heat/light bulbs?

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point 6025715922779 | eBay

5. Raigo

Raigo Member

The hide is temporary I have a larger tree with a hide in the bottom that is being cleaned right now, I do want to get more clutter for it to climb on and fill the space out. The bulbs are a zoo-med 75W basking bulb and an all living things 60W UVB bulb.