This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Enclosure Questions

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Matttpk, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Matttpk

Matttpk New Member

We just recently got a CWD and we were mislead by the pet store employee. Water Dragons are arboreal, not aquatic! I would like to add branches and rocks to his enclosure. Is there any wood I can / can't use in his terrarium? Is it better to use plastic to prevent contamination and mold? My original plan was to grab some branches from the back yard but I wanted to ensure it wouldn't hurt the little guy. Rocks too, can I wash any old rock, similar to how you wash substrate, and add it to the enclosure?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Personally I boil or bake anything before introducing it into my enclosures.
    Branches are fine, but in the humid environment it may (possibly) mold. Rocks I have never had an issue with when sanitized properly.
    Plastic would work, although might be difficult for the lizard to grip?

3. Matttpk

Matttpk New Member

Thank you for the advice! We'll get him something to climb on.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, they are semi aquatic as well as semi arborial and a heated water container is required.

5. Matttpk

Matttpk New Member

I haven't heard anything about a heated water container. We have a water dish he can easily fully submerge in. I also have a reptile specific under tank heater with temp. control but we haven't been using it because the CHE we use in our 50gal tank provides adequate temperature throughout the tank. What temperature should the water be? I can provide pictures of the viv if that would help.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, photos of the whole enclosure will help as would details of the temps and humidity and how you measure those.
    Any water used for bathing should be heated to between approx. 80 to 85f.

7. Marco Genovese

Marco Genovese New Member

I built mine like this, heating pad underneath the pool for temp requirements. Water Dragon Enclosure - Album on Imgur
    Mind you before comments on health, he is a rescue and currently on antibiotics and calcium/vitamins to get him back together.