This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Enclosure Background

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by ChrisCWD24, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ChrisCWD24

ChrisCWD24 New Member

Hi guys first i would like to say i'm new here and this is my first post. i've got a chinese water dragon about 6 months old living in a 55 gallon tank. i'm currently building an enclosure 5' x 2.5' x 3'. I'm not sure what to do for a background. I'm on somewhat of a tight budget. i have seen the great stuff foam backgrounds and thought about doing it but it would take forever with the size of this enclosure. Are there any sheets or any materials that are safe for animals? i have done some research and didn't find much except for the great stuff foam. any help is appreciated!

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

What kind of material are you building from? There are sheets of a product called frp (fiberglass reinforced panels) that are really good. There 100% waterproof and easy to clean.

ChrisCWD24 likes this.
  3. ChrisCWD24

ChrisCWD24 New Member

i'm using plywood for the walls. i'm coating it in a sealant. and thank you i'll look more into the frp!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, FRP (fibreglass reinforced plastic) is normally used to face the plywood sides and bottom below substrate level in solid wooden enclosures for animals that require a relatively deep layer of particulate substrate such as a soil/playsand mix. You could use it to line the interior (it would be very bright and quite slippery) but you certainly cannot actually construct the whole thing using that material, unless you buy it in at least 1/2 inch thickness and even then it would need a wooden framework throughout, I expect it would be quite expensive for the thicker stuff.
    I think your own idea to seal the plywood is best, use 4 or 5 coats of polycrilic (varnish), then you can easily attach branches and/or trellis to the sides and back to give the dragon more opportunity to use as much of the available space as possible.
    The white material just above the substrate is the FRP...
    aja2[1].jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  5. ChrisCWD24

ChrisCWD24 New Member

Hi thank you for your reply! i understand you cannot build it all out of frp. i should have posted a picture with in my first post. i will in this one. don't mind my friend in the picture lol. he was just in there for size comparison.

Attached Files: