This Disappears When Logged In

Water Dragon Breeders?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by RomanLA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Are there any water dragon breeders? If not, what's the best place to get a baby? I got lucky with my first one from Petco, but I don't want to roll the dice again! Lol

2. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Honestly find a local reptile show there is a lot of breeders who will bring them I saw atleast 20 of them at the white plains NY expo. Some looked healthy some did not. Some looked either malnutritioned or would have to have toes amputated from poor sheds. Some looked great.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Captive bred cwd are very few and far between. It just doesn't pay to breed them unfortunately. In my experience the cwd at shows look much worse than what I see at the local pet smart, on the other hand the pet co across the street they look horrible. You just have to do a good visual inspection and plan on a vet visit after buying.

4. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Exactly, there was only 3-4 of the 20 that where captive breed that looked healthy to me.

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I also have seen decent looking Chinese water dragon babies at the Petsmart. They are active and healthy looking. I don't go to let I enough to comment on that. But Petsmart is usually ok~ they have bearded dragons too. They always look ok too.

6. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I went to a Repticon recently and only saw one water dragon. It was in a little screen enclosure with a bunch of different lizards and looked rough. I haven't seen any at Petco or Petsmart here that look decent, since the one I got. I must have just gotten lucky.

Anyone on here have babies? What did you do with them? I recently purchased greenwaterdragon.com to make a site for new water dragon owners (tired of answering the same questions over and over). If I get enough traffic, I could try selling them online I guess.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

8. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Ok...thanks!

9. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

So I found one at Petco that looks pretty good. It's very active and alert. It's eyes look good. It's legs and feet look good. It's snout looks good (although from what I've seen at Petco that won't last long). It's pretty brown, but I think it's just preparing to shed, since the color didn't change once I got it warmed up. It's underside is very bright green and yellow though. The only thing that worries me is that it's really skinny. I'm going to go back today and see if the cloaca is clean. Would you risk buying a skinny one?

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah as long as everything else is good. Skinny is either parasites or being underfed in most cases. Both of these are easy enough to fix. And remember petco only feeds crickets and mealworms which usually arent a favorite of cwds when thats all they eat.
    Tai was all skin and bones when I got him and after a month of a good diet he was at a decent weight.

11. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

It had a tank full of crickets and most of them were bigger than it's head. I pulled an employee aside and had a talk with him.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So the weight is probably due to being bored with its food.

13. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Well I think it just came in on Friday, so probably parasites or malnutrition. I wish I had some small pheonix worms. I might order some, since they'd ship tomorrow.

14. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

I suggest not purchasing any animals from Petco for a few reasons. First is because of how they they treat them, last time I was there i saw a baby Bearded Dragon dead in its cage and i went back probably 3 hours later and keep in mind I told them about it the Bearded Dragon was still there. Also my friend purchased a baby Albino Cornsnake from them and then not even two weeks of owning the snake it refused to eat and died. That is why I encourage everyone not to purchase live animals from them.

15. ChunkofWhat

ChunkofWhat Member

I'm having a **** of a time finding an Australian water dragon breeder on the east coast.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Check out the larger reptile expos.

17. camoanimal

camoanimal New Member

I agree im the one who lost that snake so remember if u ever get anything from petco make sure its not living/breathing animal

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  18. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Are you sure they were captive bred nicky? I have not been able to find captive bred CWD anywhere around this area. People here, and at the Hamburgh show say they are captive bred but get a little squirrely when you ask them about it. I think they are imports or at best captive hatched. If you can find someone that is breeding in our tri-state area please pass the info on, I would be very interested.

@ the op: your best bet is fauna classifieds. Keep hounding there. Fairly frequently hobbyists like ourselves hatch out clutches and post them up on there.