This Disappears When Logged In

Vivarium Electronics 200 or 300???

Discussion in 'Heating' started by lizardhoarder139, Nov 12, 2014.

1. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Hi guys, I am going to be building a snake rack for ball pythons and hope to breed them in the future. I have done tons of research and have learned a lot. The one question I have is I'm getting a thermostat for the heat tape and I like the VE. I'm just curious, the 300 has a night drop, do I NEED the night drop or will the 200 be ok without it.
    I want to know what I need for ball pythons when it comes to a night drop in their hot spot and if they need it or not. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!!

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I have never felt the need for a night drop if there is sufficient room for proper thermoregulation. I have two 200Ds and I am as happy with them as the Herpstats I had in the past.

3. lizardhoarder139

Ok I'm glad to hear that you like them :) I was thinking since my room gets cooler at night anyway that the ambient temp would go down and that would be enough.
    Thanks for your input!

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

With a thermostat that shouldn't happen, it will just send more power to your heat source to compensate for the temp drop in the room.

I agree with Knox that you shouldn't NEED a night temp drop, but if you really want one you could always just adjust the temps manually. If you're looking to breed a seasonal drop IMO is more important than a night drop.

I'm also looking at the VE's, glad to hear they're comparable to the Herpstats since the VE's seem a bit more affordable.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

While I personally happen to be a herpstat fan, I know the VE units are high quality too. And the night drop is definitely not needed for ball pythons, even when breeding.

6. lizardhoarder139

Thank you guys so much!! That makes me feel a lot better about the VEs :) and I'm glad to hear about the night drop, you saved me alittle bit of money :D

7. lizardhoarder139

Ok I have another question. What is the difference between pulse heating and dimming? And which is better?

8. Darkbird

Not sure, since all modern solid state t-stats electronically pulse the current to the heating device to achieve the dimming effect. At least so far as I know. Though I basically understand it, I'm not qualified to give a detailed explanation on how FETs work in these systems.

9. lizardhoarder139

Thanks darkbird, I was just curious because there are two different 200 VE thermostats, one that pulses and the other 200D that is dimming.
    Also has anyone worked with THG heat tape?? or is it better to go with the real flexwatt heat tape? I'm trying to save money but i also want to get whats best for my snakes and won't mind spending a little more..

10. Darkbird

I've used both brands, they seem to work fine, but don't mix the 2 on the same rack, they are different wattages per foot. And I'll have to read up on the VE t-stats again, it may be something different about the way the current is delivered to the heating device.

11. Darkbird

Too late for me to add an edit to my last comment. From what I gathered from there website, it would seem that the D model is specifically designed for running incandescent bulbs, so I suspect it uses higher frequency FETs or something to make it easier on the bulbs. Not sure why they would even bother making the other model, since the D should be fine for any type of heating device. Must be something I'm missing.

Edit: went and did some comparisons, and I know your already wanting the VE stat, but I would take a good look at the herpstat basic+, the herpstat 1 basic, and the regular herpstat 1. All are within the same price range as the VE200, and are all single output t-stats like the VEs, but there are some cheaper options with seemingly the same or more capability than the VE, depending on what you want. Just some food for thought.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  12. lizardhoarder139

Thank you!!!! You have been a great help, I'll look at the herpstats again, I just have a hard time getting my mind to move off of something I already understand lol :p
    And that's good to know about the two different heat tapes... Do you know the wattage for the THG per foot? Isn't the flexwatt 6 watts per foot? Or do I have it mixed around.

13. lizardhoarder139

Also does foil tape work well?? I heard some good and some bad, like it was peeling up and sticking to the tub and making a mess. I mean I'm sure it's fine if you just make sure it's sticking well.
    Or is there another tape out there that works and is cheaper? Thanks guys. I just want to ask people that have experience.

14. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I saw that also (about the dimming VE t-stats) but it seemed odd that only the 200 comes in a dimming version. I'd think that would be better but I'm probably going with the 300-2 so no dimmer for me.

15. Darkbird

Foil tape: it might be 12 bucks for a roll, at least that's what I paid, but you would be hard pressed to use it all up for a long time. And as long as the surface is clean when you apply it, I've never yet had an issue getting it to stick. If anything it's grabbing everywhere you don't want it to while trying to get it where you do.
    Thermostats: I just put the herpstats out there because I feel they offer a bit more for your money in safety and features, but I'll readily admit I've never yet owned one of the vivarium electronics units, and I'm not as familiar with them. And I do have several different brands, including zoo-med, ranco, helix, the afore mentioned herpstats, and digital aquatics, which are a very recent acquisition so the jury is still out on them, so to speak.

16. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's a lot of t-stats.

I was thinking about going cheap with hydrofarms or zoomeds. But then I thought about it a bit more and decided by the time I bought multiple stats I could probably go with a higher end stat with 2 zones, whether it's a herpstat or a VE, and have something I'd feel more comfortable with. And also have less stuff to plug in and less wires all over the place. It's probably going to be powering 2xVision 632s (definite) and 3xAP T8s (don't have those yet, researching different pvc type cages but currently the APs are in the lead).

17. lizardhoarder139

Ok great, I'll stick with the foil tape :) it seems like a good investment. Thank you so much for your help.
    I'm definitely going to look into herpstats again. I think I would feel more comfortable with one since so many people have them. Which one do you have? Or do you have multiple.

18. Darkbird

I have 2 of the herpstats so far, a herpstat 1 basic, and a herpstat 4, with plans on getting at least another 4 and maybe a 2 at some point. The 1 is used to run my incubator, or as a backup if needed, the 4 runs 3 different racks in my snake room plus runs a humidifier in the wimter to keep up humidity. Never had any issue with them. The herpstats were bought new, the rest were used purchases, either with caging I bought or on their own. Actually never had an issue with any of them, but I'll still be buying herpstats for all my new purchases.

19. lizardhoarder139

Ohh ok good to know thank you!!! :)

20. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Actually I just looked and the herpstat 2 is actually cheaper than the VE 300-2 (only $10 less I think but I was thinking they were a lot more - turns out I was actually price comping the Herpstat 4 and the VE 300-2, oops). Now that I see that I'll probably go with Herpstats, maybe even one of those slick redline ones.