This Disappears When Logged In

Vision 632 (6'x3'x18") and Radiant Heat Panels - Can It Work?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by CTU2fan, Oct 30, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

This is very preliminary as I haven't even decided 100% what I'm keeping in them yet. I already have the Visions. I was all set to grab a couple of the RBI panels and a decent t-stat and wire these up until I remembered the various ridges and ribbing on the floor/ceiling of the Vision cages. I think the 80 watt model will fit if I mount it between the ribs cross wise next to the cutout for the heat lamps, but if I do that I'm looking at my heat source being on the right 1/3 of the enclosure; will any heat reach the left end of the cage? I realize I'll want a "cool" side of course, but if I end up with 1/3 of my cage sitting at room temp and going unused by my snake. Just hoping somebody has used this combo before and had a good experience, I haven't used RHPs before and I'm trying to get an idea before I drop ~$100 apiece on these.

Also how much does the RHP heat the cage stacked above it? If I'm stacking these cages how much "belly heat" will the top cage be getting from the RHP in the cage underneath?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

My best advice on this would be to call or email where your getting them from. If I'm thinking of the right place the guy is really knowledgeable about all those things. I haven't had any of the RHPs yet but I'll have some soon, I have at least one cage build where one would be ideal, I think.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have not tried them out yet but am curious at the amount of power they use compared to bulbs and whether it off-sets the initial costs to setup.
    Kind of like using LED potlights in the house. Sure they run at around 25% of the power but they cost nearly 10 times as much.
    Hydro prices keep jumping up here and my hydro bill is getting too high. I'm always thinking of reducing it.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

While I don't have that brand of cage or RHP, I do have a cage that is longer than it is tall, and the RHP mounted on one end. It houses my BRB.

(Mine is from pro products)

The warm end of my cage near the floor runs at around 90ºF +/- 1º (on a thermostat)
    Cool end floors runs closer to 76ºF
    Ceiling temps are warmer, obviously. My snake does utilize all of her floor space

While I do not have another cage stacked directly on top of that one, the surface temp on top of it topped out at 92º, so I imagine stacking another cage would indeed give it belly heat.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I should also add that my cage is in a room that is heated warmer than the rest of my house to start with. Not allowed to drop below 72ºF, but generally is warmer than that.

I have one vertical cage for my JCP that measures 5' tall, footprint of 2x3'. It is heated solely with a RHP that uses 100watts when running. Provides a very nice vertical heat gradient. I only run it during daytime, an allow the cage temps to drop a few degrees at night.

6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

OK I feel a bit better about it now.

I definitely feel like they're a better option than regular light bulbs, assuming I can take care of the heat with the single 80W RHP (on a t-stat so not running full power) I'm saving energy over say 2x75W bulbs. Factor in the RHP's longer life and it swings more in favor of the RHP. And I like that the RHP doesn't dry everything out the way incandescent bulbs do.

I'm wondering if I can mount a wood block cut the the size of the RHP with a groove for the "rib" in the roof of the cage, so that the wood sits flat against the roof of the cage, and then mount the RHP to that. I'd need longer screws of course, but it's only about 1" or so. I know all the ribbing etc serves a purpose in these cages (stability and stacking), but they clearly didn't design it with RHP or any other ceiling mounts in mind. I'm sure their recommendation is Flexwatt and/or basking bulbs.