This Disappears When Logged In

Video of My Green Anaconda

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by boaterr, Nov 30, 2009.

1. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can I ask you if this is a slow growing species, as you mention a length of 6ft. and 2 yrs old, or is that the normal growth rate?

3. boaterr

They grow much slower than the other giants. The average growth rate for a consistantly feeding Green is around 3-4 feet a year for the first 3 years of life. After the snake reaches around 10.5-11 feet their growth slows down considerable but they start to really pack on the weight.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks! Do you expect her temperament to change, or will she remain tractable, obviously you will need to be VERY wary when handling once she gets to around 12 feet and more, I know they`re the worlds heaviest species, how would they compare to a reticulated python of similar length in terms of strength, (if thats not a silly question)?

5. boaterr

Not saying it is always this way but in my experience either Anacondas are handlable and tame or they are aggressive killers. Her attitude is not likely to change, she will be as gentle as my other animals. Anacondas are much stronger pound to pound than any other snake. Two put things into perspective a 7-8 foot female anaconda will has the power of an 11-12 foot female retic..

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I guess it`s the same for many animals, it depends to a large extent on how they are "brought up", although with snakes of that size and strength, you wouldn`t be taking any risks, it would definitely be life-threatening... You have some amazing animals, their condition is a credit to you, it`s good to see they haven`t been overfed to the point of obesity, as some people like to do with these giant snakes!

7. boaterr

Thank you

8. Wow, she's stunning! She looks like quite the sweetheart too.

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

You have some absolutely amazing animals! Where are you located? they are illegal in my state(NY) but I have had contact with a yellow at the rescue I volunteer for and she is not a happy girl

10. Orca

Orca Elite Member

She is beautiful! Have you had her since she was very small?

11. boaterr

Thank you, I live in Michigan, I have a young yellow anaconda also who is very handable.
    yes, since she was around 17 inches long

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I used to live in Michigan, if I recall, there is very few laws governing herp ownership, venomous creatures aside, and the usual 4-inch turtle law (which largely went ignored anyways!)

Beautiful creatures! I'm intensely jealous.

13. boaterr

You can pretty much keep anything but hots (venomous snakes) in Michigan.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I remember local pet shops regularly stocking anacondas...