This Disappears When Logged In

Vet Wants to Spay My Burmese

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Angelinurntmare, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Angelinurntmare

Angelinurntmare New Member

I have had my Albino Burmese for four years now with very little problem until now! She is now 14 feet and 55 pounds. I could tell she wasn't feeling herself so I listened trough a scope n heard rattling. I took her to the vet and found out she has three different viral bacteria with which they gave me antibiotics treatments for. Upon further examination with X-rays and sonograms they found she had eggs inside of her and are talking about taking the eggs out of her and having her spayed. Is it possible the round things they see is actually feces? She hasn't pooped in a little while. How would I know the difference? How would the vet know the difference? Do you think having her spayed is a good idea?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sounds like you need a new vet.

A virus is a far cry from a bacteria. If your vet is confusing them, they have no business practicing medicine of any kind, not on animals, not on people, not on inanimate objects.

If your vet can make that simple mistake, then it is very likely they could confuse feces or urates for eggs as well.

Has your burmese ever had exposure to a male? If the answer is NO, then she is very likely not egg-bound.

I suggest you use the vet finder to find a good reptile vet, and get your snake in if she is 'rattling' as you say, she probably has a RI, and needs antibiotics. In the meantime, boost her temps, it will help her immune system.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Id get a second opinion for sure.

IF your burm is actually egg bound then yes, spaying is a fairly comman treament after the procedure to remove the eggs, this prevents the egg binding from happening again. Egg binding is a very serious condition that is lethal if untreated.

Has your snake been exposed to a male at any time in the last couple of years?

If shes egg bound she should look absolutely HUGE. A cluch of fully developed eggs inside over her would be very easy to see just by looking at her. It would be obvious.

Can we see a picture?