This Disappears When Logged In

Venomous Keepers in MO

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by mambaman, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Are there any venomous snake keepers in Missouri? Does anyone know how to obtain the permit to keep venomous snakes in Missouri. I have not been able to find any information on the permit or any laws on keeping venomous snakes. However, I was told that you must have a permit to keep venomous snakes in Missouri. I have experience with snakes and am wanting to get a venomous snake in a year or so.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Almost every state require permits for venomous snakes. Which organization regulates hunting permits? often they also regulate the Captive Wildlife permits as well. Check with your local Fish & Wildlife Commission. If they don't handle it, they might be able to direct you to who does.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Dragoness: the Fish & Wildlife Commission is a good place to ask. Look in the Government pages of the phone book or online. You might want to look at this website: http://www.venomousreptiles.org/
    They seem to have A LOT of information for people wanting to get into venomous reptiles.

What sort of venomous snake are you thinking of getting?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You might also look into your local herp society. They would have the info.

5. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Ok thank you. I'm not sure there is a herp society where I live. I live basically in the middle of no where. I just found out that venomous snakes both native and exotic must be registered with local law enforcement in the state of Missouri.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

then check with the local law enforcement - a lot of times they get calls to come remove native venomous snakes from people's backyards, and often, they aren't the people who do that particular job. They usually have a group they call - and I'm sure they could direct you to the proper source.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

One other thing to consider, some states may require a person to have certification with about 1000 hours of experience in handling "hots"(not totally positive about this) before the person is allowed to keep them. A plan of action is also a VERY good idea to have in case you get bitten- things like the type of venomous snakes you keep, what type of antivenin required, a phone number of the nearest Emergency Department- things of that nature. It is also a good idea to keep venomous snakes in a separate building than your home, and to have locking cages and a locking door to keep curious stupid people out.

8. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

You cannot keep antvenin at your home can you? Doesn't it have to be sent to the hospital if you get bit, or the person that has been bitten have to go to the antivenin.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm not sure - that's another question for local law. I know a lot of people who keep venomous snakes do so as an antivenin banking program, and regularly milk their snakes for venom to make a supply of antivenin for local hospitals.

10. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I have been wanting to do that with venomous snakes, milk them for venom for local hospitals and institutes but someone told me that you cannot do that, that they will not accept it. How would I go about supplying venom to hospitals any certain classes or anything I need to take.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Have you been able to track down a local herp society in your area? They would know.

12. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

No I believe there is a herp society in Springfield Missouri thought but I am not sure if they are even still around.. It is about 150 miles from me it would more than likely be the closest.

13. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

14. David McConley

If you keep venomous snake for business reasons, (milking them for venom) keeping a vial or two of antivenin for personal use is almost a requirement-YOU WILL GET BITTEN! There is usually a great deal of red tape (when isn't there?) involved ingetting antivenin but it can be done. I should think especially if you keep exotic hots, the hospitals will not have the correct serum. If you can get a vial started working in you soon after a bite, it could save your life if you have to wait for Venom1 to come to your rescue. Also, the hospital would then know what type of antivenin to get for you.
    Reptiles magazine has a biennial(every 2 years) venomous issue, I'll look inmy back issues and see what I can find out for you.

15. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Ok thank you I appreciate it. I appreciate everyones input. So Venom 1 does out of state snake bite treatment? I thought I had read that they did but was not sure.

16. David McConley

To my knowledge, they deliver anti-venin to all parts of the Country.
    I have not forgotten ablut checking on those facts for you, I just have been very busy lately. My church is getting ready for Vacation Bible School, and I am on the decoration committee. I promise, as soon as possible, I will gert you the info.

17. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

This is a completely random question but just wondering where are you from in NC I use to live out there

18. David McConley

I live in Fayetteville- close to Ft. Bragg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.