This Disappears When Logged In

Venom in Varanids

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Andyc3020, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. Andyc3020

    Andyc3020 Elite Member

    I hate to get this thread off topic, and maybe we should start a different one, but I've never heard of any other varanid having venom besides V. komodoensis. Is this a common theory? why hasn't there been more testing?
     
  2. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Re: Monitor Trust Building

    If you visit Bryan`s website I linked to above, all the info is there on the venom and species so far tested apart from the Komodo monitor. I think it`s highly likely that other (many?) Varanid species are venomous to at least some degree.
     
  3. Og_

    Og_ Elite Member

    Re: Monitor Trust Building

    When I first acquired my Sav, I did as much research as I could.They have a certain amount of venom in their saliva. I think it is a mistake to compare them or any other monitor species to Komodo's. Komodo Dragons have a bacteria that lives in their mouth that will infect and kill most animals that they can bite into.That is not the same thing as venom.
     
  4. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Re: Monitor Trust Building

    Hi Greg, V. komodoensis has no more bacteria in its mouth than a domestic dog (or in fact we ourselves). It IS truly venomous and that together with the slashing teeth is what causes the damage. The myth about bacteria in the mouth has been well and truly buried, and if you care to visit the following website all the info is there.
    Venomdoc Homepage
     
  5. kriminaal

    kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

    I split the other thread to continue the discussion in this one.
     
  6. jaydsr2887

    jaydsr2887 Elite Member

    in recent studies, they threw out the thought of rotting meat stuck in the mouth that produces bacteria, as they proven that the animals mouths are actually pretty clean, and then they took saliva samples and found small traces of the same proteins found in rattle snake venom in their mouths..... and then thought of venom does not only constitute just varanids but also many species of the iguanidae and the bearded dragon as well... the venom from the bites are what causes the heavy bleeding and the localized swelling and the pain you receive from the bites...

    Lizards' poisonous secret is revealed - life - 16 November 2005 - New Scientist
     
  7. Darkbird

    Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

    Hey murrindindi, that link doesn't work for me. I keep getting a msg from yahoo about not being able to access that url from this server.
     
  8. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Darkbird, Stefans link doesn't work for me either. Try this one.
    Venomdoc Homepage
     
  9. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    And if you stop and think about it, the bacteria in the mouth theory doesn't stand up. No matter how vile it might be, it isn't going to provide a quick knockdown. It would take several days for a septic infection to result in death.
     
  10. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Sorry, the first time I put it up it worked, now it doesn`t, I believe it may be a conspiracy (or a bad link)?? ;)
    Thanks to Merlin for providing the info...
     
  11. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Thanks Mike, the discussion will probably fizzle out now you`ve taken the trouble.... :(((
     
  12. Darkbird

    Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

    Wayne, thanks for the working link. I'm always looking for new info to absorb. Gonna have to get around and read the rest of that at some point, only read the parts on lizards and the Komodos so far.
     
  13. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Hi Darkbird, I`m happy to see my confusion is rubbing off on others, you`ve now thanked Wayne for the info Merlin kindly provided??
    Beware, he has a magic wand and he`s not afraid to use it)...... ;|(|
     
  14. Darkbird

    Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

    Oh crud. Sorry and thanks Merlin. I drive truck for a living, the weather here in southern Michigan has been horrid, and I've been having just a wonderful day.:-& Not to mention having a nice head cold to top it off. And I don't need any of your confusion, I have plenty of my own.
     

Share This Page