This Disappears When Logged In

Vel. Chameleon Mouth Open

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by petpoor, Aug 27, 2013.

1. petpoor

petpoor Member

I've noticed that my chameleons mouth is open just a little bit and she is not pooping. She has no bite marks or marks of any kind around her mouth. Its just slittley open. She hasn't pooped in about 4 days and her tail is mostley straight out like she is trying to poop. Any body got any idea what's up?

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

How long have you had her? How big is she? Do you have pics of the enclosure? If not, can you describe it? What is the basking area surface temp? What is the ambient air temp? What does she eat? What is the humidity in the enclosure What are you using to keep up the humidity?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

^^All important questions to answer^^
    Eating well? Noticed anything odd about her tongue?

4. Poison

Poison Elite Member

What are you using for bedding?

5. petpoor

petpoor Member

No she has stopped eat normal. She opens her mouth like she is trying to eat, but don't eject her tongue out. Her tongue looks normal.

Eco Earth Loose coconut fiber substrate

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You haven't answered the questions about the setup. However a very common problem is dehydration from humidity being too low.
    Dehydration can lead to a multitude of problems including intestinal blockage. Try to get her to drink.

7. dogcharmer

dogcharmer Member

Mouth rot?

8. suad

suad Member

More likely than not she is too warm, they do this to try to cool themselves. Chams must hydrate by drinkings drops from leaves as they would in nature although I have heard of some owner to train them to drink from a cup very rare though.
    Do you have a correct drip cup set up for her also temp and substrate are important They need about 75 degree F not to hot not too cool. Also need foliage ( Hibiscus and ficus are good to climb in, wash plants well to remove all pesticides and fertilizer residue BEFORE you put them in with your pet! Or get organic grown)
    NO SAND NO SAND in cage it gets in their eyes and will kill them. They come from the jungle not the desert.
    Thanks

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

75 degrees is not hot enough at least for a basking spot. Also, substrate is not needed. Also, pesticides and fertilizer are absorbed by plants so it is not ok to just wash off real plants because chameleons eat leaves. Where are you getting your info suad?

10. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Real plants actually do really well with chams. I agree 75 is not hot enough but we need more info from the original person. I was thinking it may in fact be too hot and not humid enough but not sure if that would cause the lack of poop...

11. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

oh just to be clear, i'm not suggesting real plants are a bad idea. I'm just saying don't use plants that have ever been exposed to fertilizer or pesticides, and just rinsing them off is not good enough.