This Disappears When Logged In

Veggie Clip, Temp, & Wattage

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by tink, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tink

tink Elite Member

Okay, losts of questions here I come!

1. So, my Chameleon LOVES to eat his Pothos and Ficus. I was wondering what are some good fruits or veggies to give them? And HOW do I give them? I am reading use a veggie clip. I looked at my store today and all we have is clips with suction cups. And I have a screen cage. So how do I/yuo go abut clipping them?

2. Okay, how do you test yuor tempature? I know to use the reptile themro things. Do I get the sticky tank kind, I'm guessing no sence it's wood and screen? And then the only other thing is the circle moves that move, but they stick also. Do you HAVE to peel the backs off in order to work? Do I just stick it to the wood frame and will it test the air not the wood? I tried buying actualy outside ones, but they didn't seem to work too well. What are some good brands to use also?

3. Lights. I've had my Chameleon for over a year and a half now, so I know the lighting is fine. But I was wondering what lights do YOU use? I just have a UV florsent and a Daylight bulb for heat. Should I be using this Daylight? Or Basking? Or maybe both? It's getting colder and he seems to be by the light all the time now. It doesn't seem as warm sense it's gotten colder, should I go a high wattage? I have a 65W now. My cage is 3'x2.5'x2.5 I think. And what about at night? I have ALWAYS left the lights on at night. He is quite annoyed and hides well for shade to sleep. How do you go about heating at night?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

fo rheating at nite i use a uth...it keeps my dragons temps up

3. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

I can't answer your question about how to attach veggie clips properly but hopefully someone else will come along with a good idea. :)

you should be able to use the reptile thermometers. You shouldn't have to peel off to make it work (unless this is some kind I'm not familiar with). have you asked at the store how to make it work for you? I would think that any indoor or outdoor thermometer would work in the cage. I don't understand why you've had trouble with them.

Do you have any idea what the cage temp is now?

What brands of lights are you using? Specifically what brand of UVB lighting are you using. And how old is the light. You need to replace UVB tubes every 6 months or so as the UVB gradually lessens until there is almost no uvb output.

It's hard to tell you whether you should use a higher wattage bulb. there are too many factors such as what is the ambient room temp that the cage is in etc. you need to get one or two working thermometers in the cage and adjust the heat and or wattage of the basking bulbs until you achieve the proper temperatures for both day and night.

I would not leave lights on at night. That is just adding stress to your chameleon, and prolonged stress tends to make reptiles ill. If the night temps are going too low without lights you need to find some form of night time heating. You could use a CHE on a thermostat / rehostat control, or a mega-ray heat bulb.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. You do not want to leave the lights on at night.

"He is quite annoyed and hides well for shade to sleep."

How would you like to try to sleep with all the lights in your house on? This is stressful to them. If you need auxiliary heat go with a ceramic heating element. All heat, no light. The UV is a given but the lights for basking or just heat do not have to be the fancy packaged pet store stuff. A regular household bulb does the same thing! And for a lot less cost!

You do not have to remove the backing from the dial thermometer for it to work but they are notorious for being incorrect in their readings. Get a digital thermometer with a remote probe from Walmart or Lowes etc. Then you can put the probe any where you want to get a reading. Temperature is important with herps and you can't just guess.

As far as the veggie clip go to a place that has bird supplies. they will have spring clips that go thru the cage bars and also clamp the veggies and fruits. There is also a gadget that is a metal bar that you can thread thru your greens and then screw the end on to hold it that is also designed to hang thru the cage bars.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I don't have answers to your other questions, but I must stress that you have to turn the lights off at night!! I'm surprised your cham hasn't stopped feeding and is quite ill at this stage - how long have you had him? By leaving the lights on at night you are going against his natural photoperiod and seriously disturbing his sleep patterns.

We personally use a UVB tube - with reflector as it is a couple of months old, so to double UVB exposure - outside the mesh cage, and a CHE on thermostat to heat. Since it is getting colder he is spending more time nearer the CHE - also situated outside the cage - so we have upped the temp. CHEs do not emit light so can be left on at night with no ill effects, or if you can find a way of using a UTH then this can help.

Remember as well that night time temps do drop slightly in the wild and do not have to be maintained as high as day time temps.

6. tink

tink Elite Member

Thank you guys SO much for discussing this with me.

To answer some questions. I've had my Cham since March 04 when he was a hacthling. I have always did this lighting at night, no signs really. The cage has many plants and he hides for his darkness. I will have to find a way to heat at night though, as the light is kinda annoying to myself also. =P

As for UVB I have always use ExoTerra 8.0 and I replace it every 5-6 months. I only keep it on during the day.

Where do I look at CHE? They don't sell around here.

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Tink, firstly, regardless of how much shade and hiding places there are, you must still turn the lights off. You may not see signs now, but eventually you would, and disturbing your cham's sleep pattern like this is very detremental to his health. What are the temps at night without the lighting on? You must switch the light off at night!

Secondly - your UV tube: do you have this inside or outside the cage? Because of where they live chams don't require as high levels of UVB as say, bearded dragons, do. In fact, too much can be damaging, as can too little. A 8.0 inside the cage, brand new, will be providing him with far too much UV. As the bulb gets older you could move it inside the cage as mesh cuts out 40% of UV, or if you have to have the bulb inside I would recommend a lower UV bulb and then buying a reflector to double the output once the bulb has lost some of its intense after a couple of months. If you could get your hands on a UVB meter you could test your lights to see when they need changing - some can carry on emitting UVB for up to 12 months, so you may be changing it more often than needed. We have a UV website where we did lots of tests and research on UVB emission, Rob Lane who was part of the team, is the leading figure over here on chameleons. I'll get you a link to the site. Meanwhile check out this link - chameleons and UV

CHE = Ceramic Heating Element. Not sure where you can buy them from there, but I'm sure there will be some websites where you can get one from. They do get very very hot though so need to be controlled by a thermostat, and also if it's inside the cage then you need to have it guarded so the cham can't touch it and suffer from burns.

8. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

What kind of Chameleon do you have? Most like a nice temperature drop at night, so you don't have to find a way to have additional heat unless your house is dropping way, way down. In the wild, depending on where they live, chameleons are used to and thrive with an average drop in ambient temp overnight of anywhere from 10-15 degrees F.

And as everyone has said, you must provide a proper photo-period. Twelve on, twelve off - just like in the wild.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.