This Disappears When Logged In

Varanus Macraei A.K.A. Blue Tree Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Og_, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

macraei2_-_copy_thumb.jpg

varanus_macraei_-_copy_thumb.jpg

Someone I know just acquired one of these animals. I didn't know about them until now. It's an amazing looking animal so I thought I'd share.
    I found these pics on the internet to show an example of what they look like.

I've heard that babies are well over $1000.00 each.

Attached Files:

2. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Beautiful!

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They belong to the same group of monitors as Varanus indicus, (mangrove monitor), I don`t have any photos to put up, but another of the more colourful varanids is V. yuwonoi, if anyone wants to see an example, check out the "Reptile-database", even more striking than V. macrei. These species are now being bred in small numbers, a few years ago it would have been very difficult to get hold of these animals. If you have the money, almost ANY varanid species is available, unfortunately, not always legally.

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I couldn't see many good pics of V. yuwonoi on google image search, but some good pics of V. Doreanus came up. They look very nice! They seem to have the same exact body type as macraei. Some are a mixture of green and blue.
    They have very long tails that I am assuming must be at least somewhat prehensile.

5. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

I think you are getting the Blue Tail monitor(V.Doreunas)confused with the Blue Tree monitor(V.Macraei)The blue tail is a member of the Indicus complex,and is very similar to V.Yuwonoi(Tri colored monitor)The Blue tree monitor is a member of the tree monitor family and was thought to be a sub specie of the green tree monitor.

greg

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Definitely a beautiful species. Shame he couldn't get a pair and try to breed them. What's another grand? ;)

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m not too sure which part of my reply you are looking at Greg?? I haven`t got any of the species mixed up, all those species belong to the sub-genus Euprepiosaurus, as I said, the mangrove monitor species complex! :confused:

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Check out the "Reptiles -database". com for pics of V. yuwonoi. Also, Varanus melinus is another striking looking monitor, as is the juvenile V. finschi...

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I found out yesterday that the actual price paid was $1,500!