This Disappears When Logged In

Varanids and UV

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by silentjt, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Because the different species have different levels of D3 requirements, and to date no comprehensive studies have been completed.... we just don`t know the "normal" levels...... If there are hides in the enclosure , which presumably there ARE, they can of course retreat from the UVB irradiation whenever they want.... Just as they do in the wild....I really don`t see this as a problem? (In a well-thought out enclosure).

2. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

THERE IS NO NEGATIVE EFFECT FROM GIVING UVB EXPOSURE UNLESS IT IS AN UNNATURAL AMOUNT. Some people, like myself would rather have it than not have it. There have been studies etc. It all comes down to personal preference.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I totally agree Ahura, this topic has always been the subject of much debate.....But there ARE studies which show it IS of benefit, even though these are few and far between .... As I`ve mentioned previously "Better safe than sorry"! We all make our own choice, and hope it`s the "right" one!

4. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

For lace monitors there is often as much food available in winter as there is in summer, for many adult lace monitors fill a good proportion of their diet with mammals which are there all year round. This is especially true of lace monitors that feed heavily on carrion. They don't feed in winter because it is too cool to carry on normally. Although they do bask for a couple of hours on sunny days, even in the southern parts of their range, they cannot be assured of enough basking opportunities to fully digest and metabolise their meals so they don't eat.

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I believe an animal can survive and reproduce if they are only lacking in 1 or 2 vitamins. Life on this world is a lot more robust than a lot of people think. Life evolved to survive and go on despite less than ideal circumstances.
    I learned the other day that mushrooms are the only non animal food item that has vitamin d.
    So all those pale skinned vegetarians should be dying off if they don't eat mushrooms right?

To me it isn't a question of "Is it neccesary?" It's a question of whether or not it is beneficial!

On the comment about a monitors skin or hide thickness, That thickness is not uniform all over a monitors body! The added thickness on my Sav looks to be more of a protection around the head, neck, and back. It seems to me it is a protection for the vital systems of the body. There are other areas of the body where the hide is much thinner in comparison. A monitor is not a Tank.

I keep hearing the argument,"This is what breeders do."

I'm not a breeder. I'm an owner and I only want to provide the best enviroment possible to my monitor that I have raised since she was hardly larger than my index finger! I'm sorry, But when you've put in more than 2 years to raise an animal from a baby, You want to give them every possible benefit!

I've raised this issue before. If you are only going to give supplements, Then you are passing on the responsibility for your animals health onto the makers of vitamin d3!
    Do any of them have a gaurantee on the potency? How long is the shelf life before the vitamin starts to decay?
    Does everyone know that vitamin d has other funtions other than calcium absorption like immune system health and digestive health?
    I just think it becomes a problem when we try to circumvent nature with man made solutions!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I did stumble across a study the other day.I believe it was associated with Mega-Ray, but I could be wrong. Anyways, it proposed that UVB also played a significant role in the immune systems of captive reptiles.

Og, most of those vegetarians have to take vitamins to make up for what they're missing. And a good many of them are still anemic from it.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Here is the link (It is available in both PDF and HTML. The link is for the HTML version, simply because my PC has a hard time with adobe):

Aspects of Light and Reptile Immunity

That study is from 2006. Anyone have anything more recent?

8. Haslett

Haslett Elite Member

Captive husbandry is nothing more than a series of man made solutions designed to replicate conditions found in nature necessary to the survival of our animals. Unless you live in the monitors natural habitat and can provide an outdoor enclosure that encompasses all of the various conditions a wild monitor has access to Id say it's pretty much a given that we are forced to come with man made solutions. Whether you believe UV lighting to be necessary or not it is not the sun and is most definitely a way of "circumventing" nature.

9. 3240

3240 Well-Known Member

Again, I'll start off by saying that I do use UVB.

Breeding is a very taxing event for a monitor. Calcium requirements are significant in order for the female to be successful. People bring up "breeders" because many have had monitors that thrive and reproduce for generations even when UVB is not used. Breeding is a test of a monitors overall health.

I understand what you're saying about the shelf life of D3 or the accuracy of the product labels. However, I'm more confident with the claims of these supplements than I am with any UVB bulb. I go through over 20 Megaray bulbs every year. I own a meter (forget what it's called) that measures UVB output. Rarely do I have a bulb survive anywhere near it's advertised life span. The UVB output at certain distances is also not always consistant. The bulb will continue to work even when UVB output is next to nothing. Without a meter you may be using a bulb that has absolutely no significant output.

Don't get me wrong, Megaray, with the exception of their service, makes the best product out there in my opinion. Still, I find their claims to be best case.

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

It has been documented on this site numerous times that bulbs generally only last about half the time advertised.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

We are going around in circles here! If you are not providing UV, then you are providing nothing more than a cave like experience for your animal!

12. 3240

3240 Well-Known Member

Exactly my point. How would you know when they fail unless you can measure the UVB output? There's very good chance that your UVB bulb is providing far less UVB than you think. There's also a good chance that for a good portion of the year they're providing no UVB.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They make a little device to measure it.

14. 3240

3240 Well-Known Member

A bit of an exaggeration? Have you seen pics of his enclosures? They're impressive.

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

That's better than no uvb at all!

16. 3240

3240 Well-Known Member

I use a device to measure UVB and light intensity. If you're serious about providing your monitor with UVB you really need one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Pics of an enclosure do not provide a whole lot of info. Especially UV which is invisible to the human eye!

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know there is a technical term for those, but at the moment, it's slipping my mind.

19. 3240

3240 Well-Known Member

You know this for a fact? These discussions get silly unless you at least mention observations or behavioral differences that you've noticed.

20. 3240

3240 Well-Known Member

Solarmeter and luxmeter. They're available on reptileuv's (Megaray)website

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.