This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Questions

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by fishman007, Oct 10, 2013.

1. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

So I have seen mainly 2.0 and 5.0 UVB from different companies , but I have also seen 25UVB and 50UVB
    For example, Zoo Med makes a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb. Zilla has the Slimline Tropical 25UVB bulb, what is the difference between 5.0, 10.0 Bulbs and then 25UVB and 50 UVB bulbs.

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

It's marketing, that's all. These bulb rating can be roughly broken up into three different output levels--2.0 (lowest), 5.0/6%/25 (medium output) and 10.0/12%/50 (highest output). While these rating systems are of use it's important not to get completely hung up on them. For instance, just because a bulb is marketed towards 'desert species' doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be used for 'forest/jungle species'. You must understand just how these bulbs function in order to choose the right bulb for the job. This includes understanding their UV output, including UV falloff and working distances, UVI bracketing/gradients, the bulb's physical implementation (how they are mounted) as well as species specific requirements. Additionally, it's very important to note that not all bulbs within each rating perform the same. For instance, a T5 HO (high output) 10.0 bulb will generate more light and UV than a NO (normal output) 10.0 bulb. Bulb length and wattage can also make a difference in output.

3. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

Thank You Very Much

4. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

so would the Zilla Slimline 25UVB have the same effect with UVB as the Powersun 100W 5.0 except that the zilla slimline doesnt give off that much heat

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm not sure how much UV either of those bulbs produce, but I'm fairly certain they don't produce the same amount. MVB bulbs are not rated on a scale like UVB fluorescent bulbs are and they also function differently. On a side note, although I haven't seen any testing, I wouldn't put much trust in Zilla UVB lighting products. I could speak similarly of ZooMed's MVBs, which I have tested.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A mercury vapor is going to put out more UVB to a greater distance than the fluorescent.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Well, not necessarily. While this might have been the case a few years ago, the introduction of T5 HO fluorescent UVB bulbs has changed that. Some lamps, like MegaRay MVBs, are still capable of producing more UVB at longer distances, but not by much. Fluorescents have yet to catch up in terms of UVA output, though...this is where MVBs excel.