This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Lighting Brand

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Qwerty3159, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Hi all.

I recall a few years ago there was a bit of discussion on the safeness of some brands of UVB bulb. I'm looking to get one that will fit in one of the tube fixtures, if possible.

Anyone got any recommendations for a specific bulb for a 40 gallon? I found some decent looking ones from Zilla.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Fran has written an article about reptile lighting that is part of the site upgrade. (There are many things coming with this upgrade and this is a quote from the reptile lighting article she has written that will be in our article section.) In the articles she states:

Frances M. Baines, M.A., VetMB, MRCVS, is a veterinarian researching the requirements of reptiles for visible and ultraviolet light. She writes on uvguide.co.uk and, with colleague Andrew Beveridge, independently assesses reptile lamps worldwide. She is currently an advisor to the Reptile and Amphibian Working Group of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ZooMed is one of the producers of these T5-High-Outputs. Make sure it is a T5-High-Output and not one of the older reptisun that doesn't meet the new standard that these lights have set.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Those lamps will not provide UVB. All they are, are color enhancing bulbs to make your fish look better.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Good thing I asked lol.

Thanks for your help guys- I found a good deal on Amazon for the bulb and fixture and I can get 30$ off for it.