This Disappears When Logged In

UVB driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by replover, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok well I am currently using rep pro, those "Chinese" MVB bulbs. It has served me well for 6 months. But it burned out. Then I got another one and it burned out within a month. THen another two, one for my tortoise and one for my ig and one of them now wouldn't turn on on first switch, i'd have to switch it on, off, on, off and then BING, it goes on. No they are not resetting because they been off for 11 hours, but I need to flip the switch several times before one of them comes on. This renders all my timers useless.

So I though I'd get a mega ray. EB flood. As the price would work out better in the long run. We have a 220 V 50 hz electrical system whereas they have 110V 60 Hz only. I can adjust the voltage down but not the hz frequency. They seem to work in the UK I Heard, but not sure. We in Hong Kong have same electricity as UK. I e-mailed bob and dominick quite a few times. Bob only recently, dominick since 6 months ago. Haven't gotten reply. I know they have jobs and family and are good people, not saying bad about them, but I do have a problem here that needs to be solved.

To compound that, I have noticed that for the past 2 weeks, the ig has been hiding from the UVB! Sitting in the cold. I suspected it was too hot but I put in a normal light bulb no UVB and got the temps the same, and the darn thing sits right below it now. So I suspect that hte UVB was too HIGH! Now, if a chinese bulb's UVB is too high, then a mega ray would burn him alive!!!! It's not that the bulb hasn't decayed either. Its been on 13 hours a day for about 4 weeks now. My tortoise uses the same bulb and basks under it no problem.

No I don't have a meter and not much money. I was thinking of getting a meter from Reptile UV as well as the mega ray to save shipping as it costs a ton to ship to Hong Kong. But if I do, and test the UVB is too high anyway then I would have a mega ray which is wasted on my hands, and I don't even know if it will WORK in this electricity current. If the bulb is too high in UVB that I am using now I can move it far back and it should be fine and I don't have to buy nada.

Basically its all mixed up and I am really sick of this and I wish I could buy everything and test them and throw away but I have to eat and pay rent too and its driving me nuts. I'm getting up every morning just to flip the switch 50 times to turn on the bulb that I have set on timer but useless anyway, and I hve no clue how to advance.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Dom and Bob are both VERY busy individuals. If the lighting would work, I do not know. I wish I could answer that for you, but without any personal experience in Hong Kong, I would be guessing.

The megaray, when used properly, doesn't emit too much UV. (I do have a meter.) Its odd that your light seems to bother your ig. Does it also emit heat? Its possible it is concentrating its heat on a single spot and creating a hot spot?

Has anyone on the UV Meter Group tested these lights? If not, perhaps you could post a request and someone with a meter could test the lights.

You also have the option of moving the light. How far is the light from the basking spot now?

3. replover

replover Elite Member

Dominick said he tested them (rep pro) about 6 months ago. He said he would show me some results but never did. He did say they were sturdy and have good UVB though. I found the latter to be true but the former to not be. Some weren't sturdy at all.

In fact, I was already inquiring into getting a mega ray already back then.

4. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Look around a travel store or shops near the airport and I am sure you will find a converter. These are pretty common things for travlers and such. There are a bunch of Brits and Italians working with me over here and many of them have converters like this which go either Euro to US or US to Euro.

Or I see that reptileUV has posted a Euro bulb kit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.