This Disappears When Logged In

UTH? Working but Not

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by slkunert, Aug 15, 2011.

1. slkunert

slkunert Member

I mounted my uth on the side of my tank as recommend. When I touch it its warm but doesn't seem to be effecting the temp. in my tank. My house is about 80 at night and the digital thermometer on that side reads about 82. Really two degrees difference? Somthing doesn't seem right, please help.
    Thanks Sara

2. CanadaDan1971

CanadaDan1971 Member

I've got the same problem. My UTH was used and I'm going to replace it but maybe the problem isn't the pad.
    BTW my therometer is mount an inch above the substate. Is that the correct place for tank temp?

3. slkunert

slkunert Member

I bought mine new. 40 bucks , hope its not a waste. But it is looking that way.

4. slkunert

slkunert Member

O ya. The thermometer seems to be in the right place. Or atleast the same place you described.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They are meant to go under the tank, that's why they are called a UTH. What are you using it for? IE what animal?

They don't really affect the ambient are, so much as the surface area. They are used for animals that bask on large flat rocks that have been warmed by the sun.

6. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

schlegelbagel is right, they are meant to go under the tank. They are for reptiles like leopard geckos, that press themselves into the ground to absorb the warmth through their bellies. If you want to affect the ambient temps, you need a lamp using a heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter.

7. CanadaDan1971

CanadaDan1971 Member

I heard that since heat rises lamps weren't a good idea except for getting them on a regular schedule. I'm using it for a ball python

8. schlegelbagel

Many people use spot lamps for basking spots for snakes. Stick the thermometer on the ground under the lamp, that's the temperature spot you need to hit.

9. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

The heat lamp will worm a surface up that they lay one as well as the upper part of their bodies

10. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

If you are worried about this, you can take foam board or ply wood and cut it to fit half of the top of the tank and cut a hole for the lamp to fit in, and that will prevent most of the heat from escaping, but I don't have any problems using a lamp. I use a ceramic heat emitter for my Bearded and it works just fine for her.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hot air rises. But the surface of whatever is under the heat lamp is being bathed in infrared radiation. This causes the surface, be it a rock, peice of wood, or the animal itself, to get warmer. That heating effect causes the heat to disappate into the enclosure, heating it.
    I have used CHEs for my ball pythons for ten years.

12. slkunert

slkunert Member

What is CHE? New ball python owner and I don't always understand the lingo.

13. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

CHE is like a light bulb but doesnt light up its a piese of ceremic with heating elements inside that heat up and forces the heat down.

I've also heard that these are safer then heat lamps? Is that correct merlin?

14. schlegelbagel

i have no idea if they are safer. you still need to prevent your animal from touching them.

a plus to them is they don't burn out like bulbs. I've been running the same CHE for 4 years now.

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What brand is the UTH? Some will only raise the temps a few degrees above room temp!