This Disappears When Logged In

Uth And Thermostat Info Needed

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Elysa, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Elysa

Elysa New Member

Hi guys! I've owned snakes since August of this year. My 3 tanks have UTH and i lack Thermostats for all 3 tanks. 1. I am petrified of my UTHs shorting or some how starting a fire. My tanks are raised, cords and uth have plenty of room with nothing resting on them. My tanks are actually about 2 inches above their tables to allow for proper ventilation. 2. Should i get thermostats? I was informed they could actually short out my UTHs...

I just basically need advice to figure out how to keep animals i love so much without the threat of burning my home down

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Never heard anything about a stat causing a short out. A stat functions as an on off switch.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Yes a stat is a necessity with UTH's especially. It just turns it off when it reaches the desired temperature and on when it gets too low, so I don't think it wears out the components as much as an unregulated uth going full bore all the time.
    The issue would be if the t-stat is wired incorrectly/unsafely. But there are several t-stats that come prewired and mostly idiot proof, if you are worried about wiring.

4. Elysa

Elysa New Member

Can you suggest a good stat?

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

AmityReptiles likes this.