This Disappears When Logged In

Using Tile Instead of Carpet

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Cahal, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cahal

Cahal Member

I've been reading around about flooring for reptiles, AFT's to be more precise, and I'm interested in using tile. I've had one gecko for quite some time now, and acquired another this weekend. But I've had them on paper towels or carpet for the most part.

Can somebody talk to me about tile? What kind, surface, size...how's the clean up? What kind of cleaner? Just water?....

Any tips/tricks would def be appreciated!
    Michelle

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The problem with AFTs and tile, is that AFTs need humidity. Tile doesn't really hold in any of that. Paper towels and reptile carpet do both. Many people use eco earth for them since it keeps the humidity in even better.

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a 20 long for each of my leos and 2 of the 12x12 tiles works for me. There is a small exposed area at the end of each enclosure which is covered with newspaper (serves as a reading and voiding area!;)). I would try a 12x12 at one end and the Eco -earth in the other half to see if you can control humidity. Leos don't need humidity, I understand the AFT's need some... I love the tile, just wipe with water and paper towel to keep it clean and remove it once a month to clean under and disinfect.

4. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

It'd perfectly safe, and I'm using it for my soon to be bearded dragon

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I would go with the vinyl flooring, as it is far easier to clean. But to make up for the drop in humidity, I would maybe add a few live plants and be sure to mist the cage too.

6. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

I went with a sealed tile (semi gloss finish) for my Beardies. Just to Lowes hardware and they even cut them to size for me. I did not glue them down and if one get dirty I just pick it up and wash it off. Too bad I don't have a dishwasher.

Sounds like you"ll need humidity though so something else has to be done to help maintain it.

Linda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.