This Disappears When Logged In

Using Heat Pad on a Tote?

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by NoahGotHerpsDewd, May 22, 2014.

1. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

So as some of you guys might know I posted a thread about building an enclosure for a lizard and the plans fell through a little bit with financials lol... (long story..) But I am still considering treating myself to a nice Rat snake, possibly Albino Radiated, or Leucistic of some sort. Anyways I am going to be using a tote for an enclosure, I will be expanding ontop of it with another tote the same size eventually but at first I will be just using one. Only problem I'm having is I'm concerned about heating the enclosure.. as the tub is a sturdy material, I am not sure whether using a UTH, or basking bulb would be more efficient. If I used a UTH I would be just cutting a hole in the lid nd hanging a low wattage bulb in for a photoperiod day/night sched. If I used a bulb I would be cutting a section of the lid out match a piece of mesh or screen to so that I could set a fixture on top hang it over the opening. Ideas on heating? As the material is like a plastic, so with little ventilation humidity should stay steady in the enclosure with the substrate I will be using.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I used a higher watt under tank heater for my biak gtp. I tried the smaller ones rated for that size, but it didn't get hot enough. So I upgraded to a stronger one. It's connected to an thermostat set a few degrees above what I want for basking temp with the probe where I want the basking.

3. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply TJOHNSON, wasn't expecting it. I'm normally I'm the only one I notice online this early lol. What thermo would you recommend using? I have the tote already, but ontop of that budgets around 100-150 dollars for cage accessories. Lighting/Heating/Substrate. Don't need light fixtures as I have plenty of them lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Only bulb(s) really. And do you think I could use a light on the enclosure? If so, setup recommendation?

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I did cut a hole on top and used an led light bulb in a fixture that way the temps wouldn't raise too much during the day. (I did put mesh on lid and just enough for light fixture to cover, then screwed that down. I have a hydrofarm thermostat I got on amazon. I've had them for years now with no problems. They actually work great.

Yeah it's last day of school for my kids today, hopefully I won't be up at cracked of dawn until fall after today.....

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I use a human heat pad on one of my roach bins. It has the 3 settings so in winter I run it on the highest and now I've set it down to second.

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

You can use a UTH on a tub if you want. The only difference between that and using a bulb is your cool side of the tub will be right around ambient room air temp, which doesnt work for everyone. My quatintine tub is just a sterilite tub with a UTH attached run on a cheap thermostat. Deffinately not the most elegant looking enclosure in the world but it works fine to quarantining new snakes for 60 days or so, until I can move them into my reptile room with a lot nicer digs.

The UTH would use less electricity then a bulb and wouldn't need to be replaced the way a bulb does