This Disappears When Logged In

Useful Stuff

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by jeepguy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

What is your best non herp item that has been used for your herp?
    For me me there is a few.
    Temp gun (a must)
    Second is the Stanley stackable storage bins Multiple sizes and much cheaper than neodesha hides.
    Sterilite tubs still take the cake.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Good question! I would have to say for me the most useful stuff is:
    Temp gun for sure
    Garbage bins for the feeders
    Plastic sterlite containers for feeders
    Flower pot saucers for water and food dishes
    Tile for substrate
    Play sand for substrate
    Cat food, fish food, bran, cornmeal, oats for feeding the feeders
    Bird cage for outdoor basking cage

I'm sure there is more that I haven't thought of.

3. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

paper towels, extremely useful and easy to clean substrate!
    table lamp dimers to keep my snakes from cooking on hot days
    and definitely sterilite containers which i have used to quarantine my snakes during the mite battle, to soak them in, and i use them to house the larger crickets.
    hamster igloos make great hides that are much cheaper than reptile hide rocks; that is, if you dont mind having a purple igloo in your snakes naturalistic cage (i think its kind of ironic and amusing myself)
    left over sandwich meat containers make for cheap humid hides...
    oh and digital temp/humidity gages that i got at home depot in the garden section. thats all i can think of at the moment.

4. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Heating pad, warm air humidifiers, tub socks filled with other old tub socks, Tv, broom and dust pan, towels under water pans, newspapers, papertowels, Flash lights, timers, Extension cords, multiple plug in bars.......... HMMMM!! What else! :0)

5. okiron

okiron Elite Member

So far egg cartons. My corn can hide under it, in it, chill on top of it. Sure I'll have to think of something else when he's bigger and it's not the most eye appealing thing to stick in your snake tank but it's free (we're big egg eater) and it works.

6. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Definately egg cartons and tile.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Great stuff spray insulation foam and silicone for the enclosures.
    sterilite tubs and egg crates for the feeders.
    dome fixtures from home depot for my lights.
    wood, hinges and hardware cloth for making custom tops

8. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I would have a few. But my most needed stuff I would never live with out, is my Pedialyte, syringe...the mixtures that go with it and jumpstart. Always have to have a back up plan!

9. ak4195

ak4195 Member

finding a good plug in strip for multiple timers can be challanging,since the $3 timers have to sit perpandicular to the strip to be efficient(space wise).
    And I love seeing fat crickets getting fatter gorging on collards n carrot ends.
    CPU style 12v fan and old 110v charger was pretty cool addition too.With a straight cutting tin snip I modified an aluminum soffit vent to accept the fan.

ak

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Indoor/Outdoor carpet for easy to clean substrate
    Dry Ice for offing small batches of feeders
    I save the buckets my kitty litter comes in, and use them to house colonies of feeders, because they come with nice well-fitting, hinged plastic lids.
    2 gallon garden sprayer I use to mist all my cages
    Blacklight (for my Scorpion)
    Temp gun (not only useful, but some animals like to chase the red dot too)
    There are a plethora of things from hardware store.... many of which have already been covered.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

My all time favorite non herp item would have to be my Ninja Food prep system!! This thing is great for my veggie eaters, in no time a weeks worth of food is prepped and ready to go. I talked my friend into buying one, he has 10+ veggie eaters and absolutely loves how much time he saves!

Ninja Master Prep Pro System | Official Site

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Alot of the things I would say have already been mentioned, so i will go ahead and say, Plywood! I used to have such a battle with getting the right temps and humidity for my brb when he was in a little 30 gal tank. Soon as I built his wood enclosure, those problems have disappeared and have yet to return lol.

13. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Sushi dishes for water dishes. They're pretty~
    Paper towels.

14. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I use otherwise trash like cardboard tubes from toilet paper or paper towel rolls for hides for my crested geckos.

Sterilite tubs are definitely #1 on my list. Use them for cages, plants, layboxes, incubators, food storage, etc. Makes life a lot easier! :D

15. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

scrap sheet metal/mesh for making lids...
    project foam and silicone for making decorations.

Hobby lobby for home decor items, non-toxic water proof floral tape, larger polished stones for creating basking areas.
    (my fire bellies love sitting on the polished stones under their light.)
    Lowe's for garden misters, organic soil, and broken tree branches from local organic vendors. :) Not to mention certain hardware needs..

16. stormdas

stormdas Well-Known Member

BBQ tongs for feeding my red-tail when he's in an aggressive feeding mood lol