This Disappears When Logged In

Uromastyx Species?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Ultima78, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Hello I will be a new uromastyx owner soon, does anyone know some of the most popular species? May you also tell me the most colorful? Thank you.

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

When provided the right keeper Uros can make great captives. These animals are certainly not for everyone, especially people who expect a ton of interaction with their animals--they are often shy and flighty and can take a lot of work for them to come to tolerate their keeper. With that said, I would highly recommend reading through urowiki.filecore.net for care recommendations and tips before you buy. In addition to that site, which is the most comprehensive source of info out there IMO, swing by the Deer Fern Farms website and read up on species profiles. If you have any further questions or critiques, specifically in regards to enclosure and lighting setups, feel free to ask.

I hope that helps!

3. ShannonD

ShannonD Member

Mali Uromastyx seem to be the most common captive bred species. Males become quite large, develop an extremely black body with some yellow markings, while the females stay smaller and remain a tan-slight yellow coloring. Just be careful, make sure when you pick up your new Uro, make sure it is CB. Some of the large reptile importers have awesome looking Uros but sometimes they never acclimate to captivity. Goodluck!

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

FWIW, just to avoid any confusion, captive female U. maliensis are often black/dark brown with yellow dorsal markings/ocellations, just like males. But I'd agree, malis are definitely one of the better starter species, mainly do to their relative hardiness and more tolerant disposition.

5. ShannonD

ShannonD Member

Sorry for the confusion Matt! Most of the adult female Mali Uros i have personally seen have been a lot less dark than the males... but their colors definitely change in both genders from juveniles. But i do not keep Uromastyx species, Ultima78. But definitely look for a captive bred uromastyx. again good luck!

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Also, Uromastyx are rather unpredictable... My mali was like a beardie when i first got him, then he got his adult colours and.. wham, no more friendliness..

7. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Thanks! I am previously an owner of a water dragon,leopard gecko, and sailfin dragon. This is my first herbivorous lizard. I really want one that is 2 feet or smaller and is colorful. Not the Epytian one that gets 3 feet and over. So I will look for the right one, I do like the ornate and mali ones as those get quite colorful.

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I guess I'm lucky with Godzilla, he walks right into my hand when I put my hands in his cage. But I think a lot has to do with him being a rescue and lots of handling to get him where he is now :)

If you do want a hands on desert pet look into Bearded dragons too, my two are very friendly too. Not to mention all the colorful morphs they come in.

9. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Sorry but I'm not that into Beardies.

10. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

my saharan red phase is quite friendly, and will also climb up on your hand, and likes to be hand fed(she is quite lazy) she likes to watch as i clean and rearrange her cage.

she is also under 1' long, and an incredibly picky eater, making it a chore to ensure she gets a decent diet.

11. TheSmench

TheSmench Elite Member

I have a Saharan yellow phase that I rescued and at frist was flighty But after along acclimation period he stays out and bask while i am in room without running away. he also eats his bok choy from my hands.

Attached Files:

12. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I hear the ornates are the calmest ones. they turn into bask potatoes. lol