This Disappears When Logged In

Uromastyx Runny Nose

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by uscpsycho, Jan 21, 2017.

1. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

I know with many reptiles that a runny nose is a sign of respiratory infection but it is normal for uromastyx to have salt discharge. Today I noticed a clear liquid in one of my uro’s nostrils and I could see it kind of go in and out as he was breathing, like a sick child before their nose is wiped. It didn’t actually drip down his face or anything like that, just moist in the nostril area.

My question is this, does normal salt discharge start out clear and then dry into a white salty crust or does it start out looking milky? I’m not sure if this clear fluid is something I should be concerned with.

He is estimated to be five months old and I’ve had him for two weeks. Since he’s so small and new I haven’t handled him much, in order to allow him to acclimate to his new home, so I don’t know how long this has been going on.

He has been rubbing his face a bit but I think that’s either related to shedding (he has a little loose shed under his chin) or he is rubbing the salt off his face.

He eats multiple times a day so his appetite seems to be good.

TIA for any help. First time poster here.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good question. Can't really say on the snalt colour. But I would presume it to be clear. Do you notice any excess liquid in the stool ? Does he bask with mouth open?

3. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

He does not bask with his mouth open.

As for excess liquid in the stool, it's hard to say what is normal and what is not normal since I've only had him a short time. Today I observed him defecating and I would describe it as a solid mass encased in a viscous layer of stool. It wasn't liquid but looked kind of gelatinous. Definitely on the moist side. But this was fresh, when I see his stool and it's not so fresh I haven't noticed this.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Okay. I was thinking maybe excess moisture was coming out the nose. Sometimes excess water will come out with the stool. Looks just like a small pool of water around the stool.
    What are the environmental conditions in the habitat? How is it setup?