This Disappears When Logged In

Uro Substrate

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by thaboi, Apr 1, 2013.

1. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

I know tile is best but I want to make a humid hide along with places for my girl to burrow I have stacked tile and she is on top of repti carpet wondering if I could use something like coco fiber on her tile stacks sp she can burrow into them and feel safer or is there something else I can use

2. Hoseisjose

Hoseisjose Member

Assuming your talking of a uromastyx you could use washed playsand. It's pretty good but dusty when very dry.

3. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Yea my uro I was thinking a mix of play sand and planting soil packed in certain areas of her tank mainly her stacks of tiles but still leaving alot of open space where her repti carpet will show

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I wouldn't say tile is the best...it's good, but a compact rganic clay/soil+sand mix is ideal, although it can be tricky to find the right mix, otherwise you're looking at a lot of dust. IMO washed playsand, on its own, is not an ideal substrate for uromastyx, especially for burrowing. That is, of course, assuming you don't have any man-made structures that you can bury.

5. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

I was wondering when you would reply vers lol. I figured play sand alone was not going to be good thought maybe I would ask see if there were any mixtures I could use wasnt planning on using anything man made was planning on putting whatever was sutable for her to dig/move to where she could hide foe example her stacking stones she could burrow/move aside the substrate so she could be secure all around also curious at what I should use for her humid hide such as moss

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

You will need to do a bit of experimentation yourself when it comes to a good substrate mix. Given the high heat and lack of ambient humidity within the enclosure/tank most particulate substrates tend to dry out, leaving a top layer of dust. This is the reason I've decided to implement a burrow box located beneath the enclosure. The top of the box is covered with two 18x18 tiles, which will not only keep humidity in but it will also keep the substrate in.

Personally I wouldn't use any moss--it'll dry up and die rather quickly. If anything you can make a nest box type hide using a storage bin with a section of flexible ducting running into it...just partially fill it up with some sand or a organic soil/clay and sand mix and mist it as needed.

7. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Ok sweet sounds good thanks for the advice ill go see what I can make and experiment with the substrate

8. thgeamer

thgeamer New Member

I found this warning on a bag of play sand i got (kolorscape washed play sand) and i'm really skeptical of using this for my Uromastyx

Attached Files: