This Disappears When Logged In

Uro Not Eating.

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Darkbird, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

OK, I've read the care sheet, including the diet section. The problem I have is that one out of my 4 red uromastyx isn't eating. I wasn't aware of this because she was fat and seemed healthy with the exception of being a little thin at the tail base. Then she layed a batch of eggs. Apparently she wasn't eating much or at all, and I wasn't catching it because most of the group still refuses to eat in front of me. Just got these not too long ago, and they are still settling in and getting used to me. So I'm looking for some ideas on something to get her eating again. Really wanting to breed these, and it would suck to lose the biggest female. So is there anything they really go crazy for? I'm going to see if I can get a little bee pollen in her when I get home tonight, and get her in a cage by herself. Not seeing any stress from the others, and they were housed as a group by the previous owner, but it may help her and will keep it easy for me to see if she starts eating.
    And since I know someone will ask, basking site 130-135°f, cool end 82-85° during the day, humidity 30-50%, which is low as I can keep it since my house doesn't have AC. Cage goes down to the mid 70s at night. Same conditions I've kept uros in before with no issues.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The thing I would be worried about right now is getting some nutrients into her after the laying the eggs.
    Like you said, separate her and give her a dish of water with some pedialyte in it. Maybe a little time by herself will help.
    Any fresh dandelion flowers in your area, they like those a lot. Mine love them but I'm just about at the end of the season.
    I have a pair of Sudanese and the female has never liked me much, she still does the body squirm. The male is totally different and will crawl up my arm.

Darkbird likes this.