This Disappears When Logged In

Urget Help Mites

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by gingerb, May 14, 2018.

1. gingerb

gingerb Member

I got a pair of long tailed grass lizards and within a week of having them I found MITES. I've been treating them since I found out and used a products from the pet store called reptile spray. It appears to have worked and after the first treatment three days ago there were no more visible mites on them. For my short period of caring for her, I couldn't get the female to eat and when I came home today she was dead! I'm so upset at petco. I'm worried about the male! I've been trying to feed him wax worms and meal worms. What can I do because he isn't eating either. PLEASE HELP I have no idea what to do! I'm not sure which on was pooping but they at least did twice a day. It was mostly urate but there is some brown parts. Again anyone please.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptile Spray from Natural Chemistry is a safe and effective product. Make sure to follow up as all it takes is one mite to start it all over.
    To die that quickly makes me think that it was on the way out when you got it. And since they are all wild caught there is no way of knowing what happened.

3. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

When I had mites on my ball pythons I didn't have much luck with Reptile Spray, but Frontline spray knocked them right off. I don't know if Frontline is safe to use on lizards though as the video I learned the treatment method from was specifically about treating snakes. If anyone can confirm that it is safe for lizards as well I will share the video.

4. gingerb

gingerb Member

do you have any advice on how long I should quarantine him? I moved him back into his 40b after a week in a 10 gallon where I could more closely watch him. I had to move him because he was becoming more active and it was just too small. The tank still has just paper towel and disposable stuff for him to climb on. I don't want to jinx it but I think he's recovering and he is eating normally again. When will it be safe to put him into a fully furnished tank?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'd wait a few weeks. Make sure there are no leftovers.