This Disappears When Logged In

URGENT!! Strange Yet Graphic Cham Question

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by orphia, Dec 4, 2014.

1. orphia

orphia Member

Hey guys. I just had a question. I have never seen or heard of this happening before. I will warn this is slightly graphic.

So I was cleaning my male panthers cage and I happened to notice on the floor of his enclosure what I thought to be a weird looking poop. After closer examination I noticed it was a dead baby cham. The part that confuses me is how it got there. I have other reptiles. But they're snakes... And only my one male cham who hasn't been in contact with anything besides myself since may of 2014
    What exactly is happening? I do have the little body still in case pictures are needed. But I am 110% sure its a baby chameleon.

Any and all suggestions will help. I'm so confused sad and a bit disturbed all at once.

2. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

I would not mind seeing the pictures...

3. orphia

orphia Member

If I can find out how to on mobile lol

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You can post pictures if you don't use the herpcenter ap. Just go to the website on your phone and tap the image to upload. Pretty easy!

5. orphia

orphia Member

It isn't allowing me on the mobile site...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure how this worked but it did lol 1417741461492-1371439520.jpg

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

This is weird. Nowwww I'm interested..

7. orphia

orphia Member

He's about the size of a cigarette filter

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

And obviously not dead for long either..

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ever have a female cham?

9. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Omg wow this is strange.... It's very intact too, not mangled and with nothing attached.... Hmm

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What a mystery!

What kind of Cham do you have, and how many of them do you have? Are you 100% positive it is a male? I know chams are usually pretty dimorphic...

Has anything new been put in that enclosure recently? If so, where was it from? I'm wondering if an egg somehow hitch-hiked in on a plant (in the soil) etc.

11. orphia

orphia Member

He's a panther I am 98% sure. He's waaay too bright for any female. I can try and post a picture of him as well. The items in his enclosure are the same ones I purchased with him. He's gone to bed now but I'm definitely going to take a peek around the plant soil and such. How long does it take for eggs to hatch? I purchased my cham in the beginning of may

12. orphia

orphia Member

I've never owned another cham. He's my first and only
    This little guy is fully intact. His little tongue is even sticking out :( I wish I would have checked earlier and could have maybe saved him/her. I do daily cleanings on my cham enclosure. So he must have showed up in the last 20 hours or less

13. orphia

orphia Member

This is my cham. I can't possibly see that being a female

Attached Files:

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Do chams have male mimic females?? I know some critters do.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

If you bought the entire setup with your cham in it, it might be possible they had a female in the cage prior to yours that layed. And I habe seen some crazy bright female chams, and I have no idea what the incubation period for their eggs would be. I'm no chameleon expert, but I have a buddy that breeds panthers, so if no one chimes in I can message him and see what he thinks.

16. orphia

orphia Member

Thank you darkbird. Or you can have him contact me directly if he's a hc user

17. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

If it was a female in there before, could there possibly be more? Maybe you can save those little guys.

18. orphia

orphia Member

I don't even know what to look for I know eggs are burried aren't they?

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Maybe you got some crazy-wierd self fertile hermaphrodite cham. That would be cool, and unsettling at the same time.

20. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just now have a chance to get back on here. My friend says that that time frame is right where it should be for chams to hatch, anywhere from 6-12 months, and apparently it can even take a little longer. So if that cage came with any live plants, you might want to check them carefully for any signs of where that baby emerged, then do a more thorough check right there. There could indeed be more eggs in there.