This Disappears When Logged In

URGENT Chilie Rose Stuck Mid Molt PLEASE Help

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by duddin, Nov 25, 2010.

1. duddin

duddin Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a Chilean Rose and she began molting on tuesday night. I noticed she was on her back @ around 2am Wednesday morning. at around 11am she strated to pull herself out of the old skin. However, she stopped. She has not moved for a while and we are almost 24hrs in! My other Chlie molts very quickly indeed, and whilst I know this can take a while, I am just a bit concerned by the complete lack of movement.

I am worried that she cannot get out and am wondering at what point should the last resort of "helping" be considered?

I have some more pictures in the "rosie" album, in my "albums" section of my profile but am not sure how to link it.

Any help would be great

[​IMG]

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

You can help by bringing up the humidity in the tank, a good misting, but not directly on your girl. I am told that if her legs are stuck you can very carefully moisten them being careful not to get the rest of her wet.

3. duddin

duddin Member

thanks for the reply.
    I have misted, and hopefully this will help. I Will moisten her legs if the misting does not help, thank you.
    will this not cause too much stress? Also what is considered a long time for a molt?

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The process must be very tiring for her. Hopefully she will make out better with more moisture from your misting the enclosure. Is she in her hide or out of the hide?

5. duddin

duddin Member

she is out of her hide. In fact she rarely is in her hide. She normally just posts up at the entrance! She had flipped on to her back just to the side of the overturned log (hide)
    I have just checked on her... NO movement, no improvement. I think drastic measures are now called for, but it is very difficult for me to tell what is her and what is molt! I think she managed to get one back leg out and her abdomen, and the rest i think is stuck. Not good at all

6. mld

He is a first aid site for tarantulas.

Tarantula First Aid | Tarantula Husbandry | TARANTULAS.com

What a shame, its such a fragile state that they are in when molting, if she is partially out and starts to harden she may be stuck. You could always bring her to a vet where they would have the proper instruments, and visual aids to see what needs to be done. I know normally you shouldn't disturb them, but just how long is too long. Good luck, hopefully there will be another member who has more experience with difficult molts to give you a hand.

7. duddin

duddin Member

Well that was intense! Thanks everyone for your input.
    I am afraid things were in a very bad state. She had managed to pull her left leg iv out and it was in good shape. The two up from this (legs ii and iii) were fused together, so I did my best to moisten and remove the remaining molt that had glued them with some success. The same thing happened on the right side but to a worse degree as legs ii, iii, and iv were intertwined and stuck together. I managed to free leg ii, but could not do anything with iii and iv short of pulling them off (which i did not do).
    Most of her underside needed "freeing" also. So all the coxa, pedicel and mouth and fangs needed to be removed. I was very very gentle, but with all this trauma and the lack of leg function she will have, I just cant see how she will survive this. But If I would have left her there is no way she would have got out of all that.
    I have put her back into the ICU and not to sure should I put her on her back or not?

Can't believe it. Lost a rose to a fungal infection a few months back and now this.

Once again, thanks for the advice.
    Dean.

8. mld

Well, hopefully she pulls through, I've heard of them loosing legs and still able to move around. With the molt being gone is it safe to keep her in an ICU up side down with all that moisture? You want her to harden up so she is no longer vulnerable. I would just wait, watch and try not to disturb her too much, offer water via sponge and wait a while to feed her.

9. duddin

duddin Member

apologies, she is in the ICU box, but i have removed the wet tissue!

10. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

keep her warm and comfortable right side up. was there any bleeding? It would have been a bluish color. Legs can regenerate so if she does lose one it is not a terrible thing.
    She should harden up within a couple of weeks, try to disturb her as little as possible, but keep her hydrated

11. duddin

duddin Member

no there was no bleeding. Very sad to say but she didn't make it.
    Gutted!

12. duddin

duddin Member

sorry for the repost... PC not playing nice!

13. mld

So sorry to hear that she passed.:( molting alone isn't easy on them, and being a difficult molt didn't make it any easier. Again sorry for your loss!

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss, but at least you gave her a fighting chance