This Disappears When Logged In

Urgent Blue Tongue Skink Help

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Modestep15, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Modestep15

Modestep15 New Member

Can anyone help me because my blue tongue has not eaten for about 3 months and has just been in his hide the whole time. He hasn't come out to eat and I'm not sure if he has had any water either. He looks like he hasn't lost any weight but I'm not sure if this is normal or not. If he comes out (which is very rarely), I open the tank and he runs straight back into his hide. I've had him for about 7 months.

Thanks

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

What are the enclosure conditions, including heat and humidity? Also please include pics of the enclosure.

3. Modestep15

Modestep15 New Member

Not sure what the humidity is but the temp is between 27-30°C. His substrate is kitty crumble which is like coconut husk and fibers. For some reason my phone won't connect to my pc so the tank has 1 hide on the cool side, light in the middle, heat lamp on opposite side with basking rock.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the ambient (air) temps and the basking surface temp and what is the latter? It`s extremely important you get a digital hygrometer to measure the humidity, I believe you can buy them from Lowes or Walmart for around $13.

5. Modestep15

Modestep15 New Member

I'll have to get a digital hygrometer to measure the humidity. I have a digital thermometer to measure the temp of the basking area. I have the heat lamp above the basking rock and the thermometer measures around 27-30°C

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to measure the surface temp of the basking object, you cannot do that with a thermometer you need an IR Temp-gun, I`ll give you a link although I`m not sure where you buy them in America (maybe Lowes)?
    I think the reason the lizard is behaving the way it is is because the conditions don`t support activity.
    Give me 2 minutes...

It`s absolutely urgent that you get the equipment to measure the surface temp and humidity range......
    http://Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need a basking surface temp of between approx. 100 to 110f, the humidity should range between approx. 40 to 60%. A few photos would be helpful, can you borrow a phone or camera to take some?

8. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

IR temp guns in the US may also be avaiable at an auto-parts store. They use them for measuring the surface temperature of an engine.