This Disappears When Logged In

Updated Pics of My Tokays

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by cassicat4, Aug 5, 2013.

1. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I got my two Tokays out for a photoshoot recently, and thought I would share. Hope you enjoy. :)

First is Keres, my big boy:

9438616711_3aff6ac9e1.jpg
    Keres1e2 by cassicat4, on Flickr

9348289054_307f111499.jpg
    Keres5 by cassicat4, on Flickr

9404243988_f9170ffa68.jpg
    Keres7e by cassicat4, on Flickr

9348288778_463db3bedb.jpg
    Keres6 by cassicat4, on Flickr

And then my little girl, Hypnosa:

9441049164_36d0b0a3f8.jpg
    HypnosaA7 by cassicat4, on Flickr

9438264327_c7074d134c.jpg
    HypnosaA5 by cassicat4, on Flickr

9441051310_110fdcfc11.jpg
    Hypnosa8 by cassicat4, on Flickr

Then decided to have some fun with mirrors. She was very interested in the other gecko below her. ;)

9441050194_c587660871.jpg
    HypnosaA4 by cassicat4, on Flickr

9441051078_eb7b866092.jpg
    HypnosaA by cassicat4, on Flickr

9441050418_0bdb3ca87f.jpg
    HypnosaA3 by cassicat4, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Gorgeous! I love Keres' coloring.

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

They are looking good!

4. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Magnificent!!!!!!!

5. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Simply amazing!!! I am loving their coloration...

6. cassicat4

Thanks all! They're one of my favorite reptile species by far. :) I like, too, that there really isn't such a thing as a "plain" morph with Tokays as even the normal morph is quite beautiful. :)

7. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

You don't get to say it much but that first Tokay is beautiful. The colors on it are so vivid. I also enjoyed the shots on the mirror. Very nice pair you have there.

8. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

How are their temperments? Unfortunately the only ones I have had access to were in the pet store I worked at many many years ago and they were mean mean mean! Being Bitten by one was no fun at all. I have always admired them but have been leary about owning one due to my bad experiences. May

9. cassicat4

The vast majority of pet store Tokays are WC and never handled. This species is generally considered a display gecko for the reason that they are known for having a more aggressive temperament unless they are actively worked with.

Both of mine are CB. I've had my female since she was 3 months old, and with the exception of the first couple of days working with her (where I received some very harmless and non-painful bites), she has never bitten, never gapes, and rarely ever even barks. She is more docile than most of my other lizards (including cresties).

I've had my male only for a few months. He was never handled prior to me getting him, but I was determined to get him tame. It took working with him every day for several hours a day to get him handleable (and yes, I was bitten a lot during that time, and yes, it's quite painful). Before then, he was just like a pet store gecko. Now, outside of his tank, he is very calm and sweet, and again, never bites or gapes. I've let children hold him, because he's content to just sit on your hand or arm and has no aggressive tendencies whatsoever. Now in his tank is a different story. Males are notoriously territorial, and he's no exception. If he happens to be hiding in or on any of his logs, he's easy to get out because I just remove the whole thing with him on/in it. However, if I have to get him off the floor or walls of his tank, he becomes very cage-defensive. It usually requires a glove (or finesse) to do so without receiving injury in the process. He is getting better though...I attribute his defensiveness partly to the fact that he was quite a bit older than my female when I tried acclimating him to people.

I don't think you'd ever find a "nice" Tokay who has never been handled...it's just not in their nature. I find they also learn the scent of "their person", and will lash out at others whom they are not used to. My male was very much like this at first, but repeated exposure has worked that tendency out of him. With pet store geckos, they never get the chance to get used to any one person, so everyone is deemed a threat. If you're truly interested in getting one of these geckos, I highly recommend it because they are amazing animals. But find a breeder and buy them young. There's actually a very well-known breeder out of Texas who sells all of her babies as handleable, because she starts working with them right out of the egg. The extra cost (vs. the price of WC geckos) is more than worth it.