This Disappears When Logged In

Update on My Toads and Pics

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by California Cowgirl, Apr 6, 2010.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Elite Member

thanks it really does look nice with the one vine like that

their tank gets really crazy hot, even the last one did average temp is like 80-90 during the day, even with lights off. and during the night and early morning 60-70 so the night time is more ideal but im afraid im cooking them during the day, they have the water to cool off in but im sure that gets just as hot, and im not home during the day to mist the tank down with a spray bottle once in a while so i dont know what to do.

This summer for my fish tanks to keep them cool im giong to get a little clip on fan to cool the tank down 3-5 degreese would this help the toads at all or create to much 'wind'

2. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

What kind of lights do you have for the toads? Maybe you should drop the wattage on the light -- how much space does the light fixture cover the top screen?

For my American Toad who is currently in a regular 10 gal, I had to switch him down to a 15 or 7 1/2 watt appliance bulb. Anything else and he cooked. I just use a dome light, so most of the screen is open for air flow.

3. California Cowgirl

i had been using the little dome light on the previous setup and now im using the hood that came with the exo terra and i have a 25 watt bulb in the fixture. It gets really hot up here in my room and turning off their light does no difference, and i think that's partly why their always in the water and never on the land is because their just so hot and trying to cool off

i also did another water change im starting to do one every couple of days now, and their water was orange again, im wondering if its the styrofoam background leaching something into the water? ive seen pics of the exo terra with foam backgrounds holding water no problem, but they all have filters running, i dont. Or if its still because of the old log because i didnt do a water change yesterday when i changed everything

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It could be leftover from the hide. I would say to keep an eye on it until your next water change since you just changed water and if it is still turning orange it may be the styrofoam backing.

5. California Cowgirl

i hope so, the orange water was kind of nasty

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suspect that it is the tannins released from the wood. The log is still salvagable if you want to use it. Take it and submerge it is a bucket of water for a couple of weeks, changing the water out every few days. You will probably have to weigh it down with a stone.

And unless the temperature in the room is cooler than the temperature in the tank, a fan will not do anything but move the hot air around.
    The reason a fan makes us feel cooler is that it is evaporating the sweat on our skin.

7. California Cowgirl

dang it lol i already threw the log away but at least i know what to do in the future

so fans wont work either hmmm wonder what else i should do, i think im going to at least start to try to cool it down with a lower watt bulb and go from there

8. California Cowgirl

still having problems with the orange water, it was orange last week during water changes and was orange again today, it wasnt as orange as it normally is, just dont know what it is, i didnt have orange water int heir previous tank and if it was from the wood log that i had in there for the first 48 hours i would think i would have gotten out all the water by now, but th orange water is still there

i also just bought the repti fogger from a seller on ebay with shipping it turned out to be $52, not too bad thats the cheapest i was able to find, cant wait until it gets here

9. California Cowgirl

a few new pics found this guy being adventurus and decided to climb the plants he was on the one leaf and tried to reach the other then fell into the water, im thinking this one is the one who escaped last night so i guess i will give him the permanent name of Houdini

009-3.jpg
    010-2.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Merlin

Thats very odd. There must be something else in the tank that is leaching the color into the water.
    Exactly what in the way of substrate and decor do you have in there?
    Is there activated carbon in your filters?

11. California Cowgirl

ive been using rocks that ive had for like a year or so, its one of those bags of rocks that petco sells, but ive had this for a while now, and i had it in their previous setup with no issues

i dont have a filter, ive just been doing water changes once every two days. I have thought about getting a filter but i would need one thats really small and that wont have to be fully submerged because they only have half a gallon of water throughout the entire tank

12. Merlin

Are the rocks for aquarium use or just colored gravel.
    And what color is the gravel? Red?

13. California Cowgirl

It's the nautural colored gravel. I've been thinking it's maybe some sort of algae or maybe it's them releasing their toxins? But I don't really think any of that would be orange. I just hope it's not harmful to the toads

14. California Cowgirl

And forgot to add the gravel is for aquarium use

15. California Cowgirl

finally got my exo terra repti fogger, i love it, deffiently very easy to setup and very cool, i hope this will keep the toads cool during the summer, i'll probably run it all year round, i also need to figure out how to get it hooked up to a timer

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You should just have to plug it into a regular light timer, set the times you want it on and off, plug it in and turn it on. The timer will take it from there ;)