This Disappears When Logged In

Update on My Toads and Pics

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by California Cowgirl, Apr 6, 2010.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Elite Member

well it's been a while since i've posted. All has been well with the toads, been eating very well now, I got them a new tank, a 12 x 12 Exo Terra Terrarium and i really like it, id like to add more plants but havent gotten to that part yet, even though its smaller than their previous 10 gallon they seem to enjoy it much more :D

Also when i cleaned out the water it was orange, any idea why it would cause the color change?

005-1.jpg
    017-2.jpg
    003-1.jpg
    002-2.jpg
    001-3.jpg
    014-2.jpg
    011-1.jpg
    010-1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Possibly the wood hide you have in there. Since it is in the water it might have leeched some color into the water. And on a side note, watch for mold to grow on it. I had one that was partially in my cwd's pond and I found mold growing on it so I threw it out and cleaned everything in his enclosure.

3. California Cowgirl

didnt even think about the mold and the log im going to have to think of something different then i deffiently dont want that to happen, i mean they love the log but im sure i can find something else that would work

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

If you can lift the log so it is not sitting in the water, that might work. I had one in my FBT tank, but it sat on rocks outside of the water and the only time I had problems was when a corner would slip in.

I never grew mold, but it wasn't wet too long before I would find it, let it dry and put it back in the tank.

Just a suggestion.

Nice looking tank. Do they utilize the height at all?

5. California Cowgirl

good idea maybe ill just add more rock underneath the log to lift it higher

i have noticed that once in a while they climb to the very top of the plants and climb half way up the glass until they fall off. I want to add more plant and vines some how that way they can do more clmbing because at times they think their tree frogs and climb like crazy

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

They do have those types of hides that are made out of plastic/fiberglass? It looks pretty real to me. Here are a few pics of it. So if you can't get the real thing to work you could try it and it would be able to go into the water with no coloring the water or mold issues.

Attached Files:

7. California Cowgirl

ill have to try to find those at petsmart or petco. I've also noticed the log makes the water really messy besides the water color change im always finding little pieces of the log floating around in the water and rocks so i hopefully i can find one of those

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I just did a quick search to see if I could find them and they are made by Zoo Med. So if you can't find them at either of those stores you can get it online. Zoo med calls them a turtle hut. Here is 1 place I found but there are a number of sites that sell them, just google "zoo med turtle hut" and a ton of sites will come up.
    Zoo Med Turtle Hut Reptile Caves & Huts

9. California Cowgirl

oh cool thanks ill deffiently do some looking around

10. Frognut

Nice Steve -- I've never seen those before. I much prefer the fake version, especially since I had to throw out a real version I had for my FBT's because of the fungus they got (I wasn't taking any chances that it could really be sterilized).

11. California Cowgirl

so my log alraedy became moldy so i got something at petsmart since i really needed something along with some plants right now i only have some in but i want to put something in the back right corner but then it looks to crowded i also bought some vine but i think it again looks too crowded with it in, tell me what you think

002-29.jpg
    009-21.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Frognut

I can't decide - I think it is top heavy and the toads are going to spend most of their time down below. (However it does look nice!)

I would take the vine on the right (as you are looking at the tank) drop it down a little. Then using another suction cup with a hook, placed on the front right of the tank in the middle -- drape some of the extra vine onto the suction cup and then let the rest drape over the log like you have now. (I hope that makes sense :rolleyes:)

That would add more green to the bottom right of the tank, provide more coverage to the toads on the ground and still look pretty.

But that's just my opinion -- if the toads are up and moving around then they are settled. It looks pretty with all the green and now they have the new 'log thing' to hid in.

13. California Cowgirl

thanks im hoping the big pothos will give them more shade, it gets really hot in there and i was afraid of them over heating and i think it gives it more of a rainforest feeling since before it was just to bare.

i really like that idea about the vine i will try to attempt that

and yea they are deffiently moving around, now i want to get them a fogger mainly just for the looks petsmart had some when i was there but cant afford it right now so it will have to wait

14. California Cowgirl

so just pushed the vine down it was hard to get it on the hook and to get everything to stay but i hope it does, i like it even more it really filled in the right back corner and added more coverage on the bottom i can tell the toads already love it. Who would know fake plants would look so good

027-2.jpg
    024.jpg
    023-2.jpg

Attached Files:

15. California Cowgirl

they seem to be really happy already and are loving the shaded section of the tank

033.jpg

Attached Files:

• 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      146.6 KB
      Views:
  16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It looks great!! Very nicely done :)

17. California Cowgirl

thanks i like it and they seem happy i would really like to add a mister or fogger mainly for looks but i dont think that's going to happen so i may just leave it like this

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

From all I've seen those fogger things are garbage. I think it looks great just the way it is :D

19. California Cowgirl

ok guess ill save my money then :D and thanks i bought more plants i only have two in there but i dont think i have any room.

20. Frognut

It looks great!! (of course it did look good before) But moving that down it balanced it out better - from my 'artistic' eye.

You won't need a mister for the toads since you have all that water at the bottom. It will just take up more space and it's not necessary.

I think the toad are going to be very happy there! Nice job!