This Disappears When Logged In

Update on My Sav

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by ParkerSav, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

When a monitor closes its eyes while being held its not falling asleep because it enjoyed you petting it,it is shutting out the stressful situation.If you have to chase it around with a towel to pick him up you will leave a bad impression on him,and he will fear you.Monitors also have a good memory and it will associate you with being chased around and picked up and will probably run and hide at the site of you

You asked on a previous thread how long it took for a Savanna to become used to you,and everyone agreed that it takes time and patience,if you continue to to chase him around with a towel he will never feel comfortable around you.

greg

2. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

I never said anything about "how long it will take" I asked if I moved my sav from one enclosure to another if I still had to wait the time to start handleing, knowing it has already seen and reconized me. And you pretty much said ,about the closing eye thing, the exact same as everyone else. But thanks for your concern

3. tenchi

tenchi Well-Known Member

hey parker when it comes to the behind the ear thing my old savy used to do the same thing. now as for what og said about sitting on the couch and watching tv. I do not agree before I had to give him up he would always get out of his cage climb onto the couch and lay on or beside me while I watched tv. and he would always nudge me with his head so I would pet him there. but that is the only one I have ever had that would do those things. so it really does depend on what he is like and how you interact with him from the time he is a baby.

4. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

I'm sorry I got you confused with packer21

But still if you are chasing him around the cage to pick him up he is not ready to be held.You will get nowhere with him if you continue to force yourself on him

tenchi I had a dumeril's monitor who liked to be scratched behind the ear,he also would climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder,but any time I would restrain (hold) him he would freak out and try to get away.The point is to let them come to you and not force yourself on them

greg

5. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

Ok good b/c I was confused when you said that to me, so I went back to my profile and read all my post. lol
    So your saying if I leave him alone he will come to me. So... do I stick my hand in and he will eventually just walk right up or? Sorry I am kind of confused from what you mean.

6. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Ahaha you're lucky. Mine is a little bugger. She bites and tail whips me lol. Hisses too. But I can relate to the scratching thing. Mine leans in but doesn't close it's eyes. I believe they do like being scratched or rubbed there. Mine also seems more calm when I do scratch her there.

7. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

You want take it slow,do non threatening things like feeding changing the water.If you savanna will take food from tongs then feed him from the tongs.the key is to get him to associate you with something good(like food) this is also where cage matince comes in when you change his water don't mess with him and soon he will learn that you are not a threat.

Crocdoc has a great squirrel story and he dose the best job explaining this,but the whole point to this is you will get the best results when you take time and patients and let the monitor no that you are not a threat

greg

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

As we ALL keep saying: Time and patience!! ;)

9. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

Alright thanks everyone is
    helpful.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Food is a good lure for most animals. As long as their feeding response is manageable, you should be able to get it to eat from your hand after it has adjusted to the presence of tongs, you can work your way forwards with it. It will take some patience and persistence, but you'll find it well worth the effort.

11. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

O ya he will eat out of my hand definitely but I only risk it with the big crickets...lol. he is actually pretty big, probly like 8 to 9 inches, well he is growing pretty fast I would say 2 inches in 4 weeks.

12. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Yes feeding the key to getting started with the trust part.

Once you've got him settled & him feeding for tongs (remembering not to stab him with them) put your hand in the enclosure, palm facing up on the substrate.

Now get him use to resting/walking over your hand whilst feeding, as he gets use to your hand lift him up gently & then put him straight back down. keep building on this over a number of weeks, going a little further each night if he accepts your actions.

If he objects go back a couple of days & start over again till he gets use to it, do this in his enclosure you don't want jumping off your hand & disappearing!!

Mark

Ps & remember if you wiggle your finger they look like pinky mice, so keep your hand still.

13. Haslett

Haslett Elite Member

Nice post Mark! Good to see you over here.

14. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

I started doing the perch like on one of your vids where the only way for him to get the food is to put his front legs on my hand and staying there as I feed him more.

15. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Glad it's going well for you, just remember not to rush it & make sure he feels comfortable when he's eating.

Mark

16. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

Ya he does not even care he is also starting to come to the door when I click my clicker now. He is a fast learner

17. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I've been away for a few days and have been thinking about this thread!
    There are so many things to take into consideration.
    I got my sav as a newborn hatchling. I know nothing of trying to tame an older monitor.

I started off by first letting her become accustomed to her cage.
    I then worked up to handling her maybe 5 minutes max per day.
    She would squirm, pee, and bite at first but every time I held her, as soon as she settled down for a second, I would immediately release her. I believe this conditioned her to feel that if she doesn't fight, She will eventually be free again.
    Again, these exercises only lasted a few minutes a day.

Another factor is Us being the bringers of food! lol I believe this is the biggest part of taming.
    When my sav was a baby, I used to keep one of those plastic cricket keepers that have the four tubes in it that hold the crickets.
    I would pull out a tube full of crickets and hit it against the glass to knock the crickets out into the enclosure. My sav got conditioned hearing that thumping sound. It was the dinner bell and she would jump up on the glass and open her mouth really wide like she wanted the crickets to just fall down her throat! lol
    She's about 2 1\2 years old now and I still can just thump on the side of the enclosure with my finger and she comes running!

She knows my hands and fingers are not food even though I don't really have an explanation for that. I guess when she was a baby, My fingers were too big to eat. I suppose she's smart enough over time to realize that the prey items look nothing like my hands.

I have no experience in taming an older wilder animal. I got my sav when it wasn't much bigger than my index finger.

18. ParkerSav

ParkerSav Active Member

That is great I will take that to consideration.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi og, That`s exactly it...She can differentiate between your hand/fingers etc., that`s just the same as my V. ornatus...These animals are well known for their remarkable "prey recognition" abilities....(Although caution is stilll needed), apart from anything else, they don`t have binocular vision!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.