This Disappears When Logged In

UPDATE - Good News + Bad News + Review (I Guess?)

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by EriksExotics, Mar 13, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I had another thread open asking if there was a way to prevent pushing during the breeding season. One of my male Boa Constrictor Imperators has been pushing and it caused his mouth to swell which scared me a lot. A vet had told me that it was not an issue and that the swelling would soon go away on it's own. Long story short is that I inspected the snakes mouth independently at home and found cheesy pus in the snakes mouth along with blood. I immediately called a different vet a few county's away since we don't exactly have reptile vets all over around here. They were able to get me in today and (the bad news) is that somehow this guy broke a tooth which then got infected and an abscess was formed. The vet believes that the pushing was actually the result of this issue and not the other way around as my former vet had told me. So the bad is that the poor little guy has a broken and infected tooth. The good news is that I found a reliable vet that knows what he is doing and that I now have antibiotics and he is going to make a swift recovery. Other than that, he's in great shape and in 10 days, he should have no swelling and no infection. Thanks for reading, and I am sorry for the somewhat useless post.

Anyone in Oregon who needs a reliable vet for reptiles should consider Gateway Vet Clinic. Very trustworthy vet who knows reptiles very very well and I actually walked out paying only half of what I expected to pay which seems to be a big thing for most people albeit I'd pay as much as my animals health costs.

Thanks again for reading and hopefully any Oregonians with herp issues see this and check them out.

2. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it and he is going to be ok!

3. EriksExotics

Yeah. I really should have just opened the snakes mouth before the first vet visit but at least it's been all figured out now and he will be all good.

4. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Well he is in good hands now... armed to the teeth with drugs!! Get well soon!

5. EriksExotics

He's honestly pretty stressed out at the moment because a 4-5" syringe had to be shoved down his throat by the vet and he also was poked at and just kind of looking a little scared right now. He goes into defensive posture when I approach his cage which he's never done in the five months I've owned him so hopefully he won't be too stressed after these next 10 days worth of antibiotics :/

I'm sure all will be back to normal in a matter of just a few weeks but I can't help but stress about this little guy.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Good to hear you got the problem solved for real. I'm sure he'll recover fast and you being stressed is normal. Think most of us have been through things with ours. Good luck!

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Glad you finally got a reliable diagnosis and course of treatment! Im sure he'll come around just fine.

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Glad you figured out the problem. I'm sure he will be back to normal in a few weeks!

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I glad to hear he is doing ok and you got to it before a worse infection set in such as mouth rot or something....

10. EriksExotics

Thanks, Everyone! He's doing better today and isn't looking as stressed, although, I haven't shoved a syringe down his throat yet. :/

11. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

good luck, ive heard it is hard for a lizard, I can only imagine with a snake as there really isn't much to get a grip on to hold them...

12. EriksExotics

Honestly it is not too hard to get done but it's very stressful on him. Going in for his first dose right now

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just be gentle about it and smear the end of the tube with KY jelly. It will make things much easier.

14. EriksExotics

Thanks, Merlin

15. Merlin

You're welcome! Years ago I had a small cornsnake that I had to administer medications every day for over 2 months as well as force feeding.
    I got pretty good at it.

16. EriksExotics

Wow! That doesn't sound too fun (for you or the snake) Did he/she make it?

17. Merlin

Yes He survived and made it another 15 years. And considering what I was having to do to him he turned out to be the gentlest snake I have ever owned.

18. EriksExotics

That's awesome, Merlin! Glad to hear about that.

This guy wasn't as cooperative today and giving him his medicine was actually very challenging. I am glad I had someone close by to help keep him still and straightened.

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

What I've done before is place the body in between your legs to hold, head in one hand and shot in the other. Not fun for either but after a few I got the hang of it and managed to escape without any bites :)

20. EriksExotics

That's kind of what I've been doing but having someone keep his neck straightened because he tries to curl up. Really hate seeing him so stressed... Just ready for these next 8 days to be over :/