This Disappears When Logged In

UPDATE: Babies Are Finally Eating!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by mayhmmaydn, Aug 11, 2013.

1. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

This morning as I was attempting to feed one of the babies solo, I noticed Eve ( the first baby) taking little tastes of the basking log, I haven't seen any of them do this. She would look around then lick, look and lick. AHA! we have feeding mode activated! I took a baby dubia and flicked it on the log. NOM she snatched it up. I flicked a second one. Once again Chomp! two others came running over to her looking as if to say.."whatchya doing?" I flicked a few more down and they too got into the action. I grabbed my Calcium cup and put a few dozen in, shook them up and slowly began dropping them in. Chomp chomp chomp. I pulled the little solo girl out and put her on the log with the rest. 5 of them gobbled down 3-4 each except the last little one who turned tail and ran off the log scurrying about in fear.. Sigh.. well 5 outta 6 aint bad. It was the last born several days after the first two.
    Im hoping that it was the Reptiboost yesterday as I dosed them twice. I also stole their moms Big UVB tube light and put it on their tank and gave her the smaller bulb. Ill take her out for natural UVB later when it cools down a bit. Maybe it was the combination of both who knows.
    From my observations though I think its quite possible that the lower incubation temperatures made their metabolisms slower so it took a while for them to get going. The repti Boost did help though.
    They now have since ran to the edge of their log when I walk by. I guess I am the great bringer of food. I didn't want them to eat too heavily for the first meal. Ill be setting up a separate feeding tank for them, I hate the bugs getting under the paper towels and getting squished or over heated. Dieing is not preferred if they are food.
    I hope to get some pictures up soon on them eating!!

2. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

more pics!!!!! pls

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's great. Give the little one another day or two and she will come around and eat

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

That's great!! So glad to hear they are eating ;)

5. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Ive bug fed them 3 times today. only the two oldest ate all three times. even then only one or two at the last feeding. I went ahead and mixed up some reptiboost and gave the younger ones some of that. a few lip licks and at least I feel better. they have all been active little demons today. Its hilarious!! climbing over each other and racing around. I see one who seems to be acting a lot more dominate. If she continues ill be separating her sooner than later. I don't want no bullies. lol I have two other 20g longs I can divide which will give me space for them should I need to and I have a 40g and a 30g still . If I have to I can separate them all . oye.. the lights ill have to buy... Ok we are getting an outdoor kiddie pool. cheaper UVB that way. hahaha. I have one that likes to be alone. wanders off that way. He found the branch on the cool side and climbed up there. he is sleeping solo. 2 are cuddled up under the papertowel in the corner of the basking platform and three are dogpiled on top the platform. Theyre are just so precious!!

6. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Attached Files:

7. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

0AEE3177-orig.jpg

sleepyheads under a towel 5AF92318-orig.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Graphite

Graphite Member

They sure are pretty little things! Loving the zigzags on a couple of them!

9. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

lol Its funny Graphite because I had the eggs named before they hatched. I names one after my sister Sylvia because they were laid on her birthday. Hers is the only one with the zigzag all the way down her back. its funny that it would be one of a kind. lol. They are sooooo adorable. heehee May

10. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

so I was kinda irritated at all the loose roaches in my tank. hard to keep track of who is eating and some dying out cause of the hot end of tank or being smashed in the paper towel. I saw a lot of babie dubia in the cold end hiding on some wood. I thought AHA.. Ill put some egg crate down there for them to congregate in. A few small pieces later and they were all running to crawl up inside. I dropped some carrot down for them to eat/drink from. a few moments later I hear a little knocking and scurry ing. I see baby dragons running down to the cool and and then back to basking log.. what in the world? Snack bar is open. The little buggers figured out the food was down there.. would run down and duck into the egg crates.. nab a roach then run back! Here I have caught one in the act. SO wicked smart.. AB921565-orig.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Your brilliant!
    I am going to do this in my beardylove cage! Should make feedings soo much easier.

12. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

That sounds like a great idea!! And as for the kiddie pool thing? Ok this might not make sense at first but bear with me ok?

Ok at walmart atm they are on clearance. Buy 2. Put them together like a clam (like rim to rim...you know where the curled edge is? Those...yeah match them up. Screw/bolt them together. Now you have a contraption that looks really weird. Now cut one bottom out from one pool or the other. Obviously doesn't matter. Viola!! Big beardies cannot escape, all beardies have shade or sun, you can put things like rocks, branches, whatever in it for basking!! Bing bang boom

13. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

TigerIvy it made feeding time a lot easier. I just picked up the crate shook it over the log. whomever wanted to eat , ate. then I pushed those I could reach back towards the crate. Im cutting some linoleum out to fit the bottom of a 20g and will use that to help keep bugs out from under the papertowels. They still aren't eating like the ones in videos eat but they have cute little tummys and don't look emaciated. Ill probably continue at least once a day with reptiboost till they start feeding better. I have one that prefers to be alone. he goes to the cool side the most. kiinda worrysome but he is eating and moving around. will see how it goes.

14. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Heehee IM bizarre. Im happy to see this... Baby Dragon Poop!
    65096B94-orig.jpg

Attached Files:

15. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Kiddie pool clamshell idea is awesome!!! I cant wait till its cooler to use it. Either that or ill make some side vents for ventilation. With as intense as our sun is in Arizona it can turn into an oven even when its in the 60's out.. which will probably be in November if we are lucky. hahaha. Great grerat great idea!! Love it. thanks!

16. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

ya true there its prob too warm, here though I can take them out in like the 70's with it as long as the sun is out and its awesomesauce!! Totally. And YAY for baby poop

17. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I looked over and saw even and Sylvia both doing this butt wiggle.. im like what the heck.. then the light came on. that's what their dad does in the bath when he poops!! sure enough little draggy turds were produced.. (clapping hands) way to go babies!!!

18. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

ok they are totally little pooping machines! Poop everywhere. lol. its draggy poop I can tell. I put osme small pieces of mustard green on their log today. a few actually ate it. one of them licked it then turned around and pooped on it. how rude! another kicked it off his log lol. Whenever I see one of the searching or licking the log I flip out a few bugs. They are actually starting to chase and hunt. Its cool in a kinda scarry way. Velociraptors... just sayin. more pics today. they are so cute!

3D72CFAF-orig.jpg I introduced them to standing water today. each one drank very well from it. a few have actually gone to it and run thru playing.

Attached Files:

19. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I know we aren't suppose to have favorites.. But this is Pandora and I think she is striking. 6AB8DF16-orig.jpg

Attached Files:

20. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

AB921565-orig.jpg hunting at the "snack bar"

Attached Files: