This Disappears When Logged In

Up Close and Personal

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Stefan, they use it in captivity too!! :) Especially the babies: they sit very still and the tip of the tail -- which is usually a different color than the rest of the body -- wiggles and moves all over the place like it has a life of its own. It looks like a little worm or something. (I remember the first time I saw it, I thought it was some kind of worm that got into the terrarium.) Little lizards and other prey animals are fascinated and attracted by this moving thing and come in just close enough and SNAP!
    Here's a crazy picture of Aeryn who (like Gabriella Cilmi) thinks "the world's a better place when it's upside down." You can see how his tail --on the left side of his body in front of the perch -- looks like a coiled up little white and purple speckled worm.
    [​IMG]

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Water Moccasins and Copperheads also use the tail wagging trick when they are young- their tails are a greenish color and they use it to attract lizards(copperheads) and minnows(moccasins).

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, it`s a great strategy, of course other animals besides reptiles use a similar technique, Angler fish for example.....( Obviously NOT the tail!) But again, with the snakes, it`s instinctual rather than "learned" behaviour, but snakes definitely DO learn different feeding strategies...

4. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

the last picture is great

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Andrea I love your photos, they really capture your snakes and will make anybody just fall in love with them. You make it feel as if I am really missing something in my life. :)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Linky, maybe what you really, really, need is a Green Tree Python!! :D

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thanks for rubbing it in Stefan.[​IMG]

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You will never feel fullfilled and complete until you get one, Linky!!:D
    Now see what you`ve started, Andrea!! :D

9. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

well I don't want a specific snake like wildheart and her GTP:p... I just want a snake

10. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow just a stunning picture! Just a beautiful snake, I have never seen one that close up before! It would make a great poster! :)

11. BlackJack

Thanks everyone... :) I just love that upside down pose of Aeryn's -- so goofy!

Linky, as Mr. Spock said in the original series of Star Trek (episode Amok Time): "You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical but it is often true."
    (Easy for me to say since I have 6 of these beauties, though, huh?)

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thanks.... that helped.[​IMG]

13. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

fantastica . .

14. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

hey blackjack, I've always been curious of how can GTP curled up in that position, I've tried making that with line or somethin, but just can't find how it curled up!!

15. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Andrea he looks better and better with every pic you post !!!!

16. BlackJack

Jason: I'm not sure how they get into these positions either! (Or how they get back OUT of the positions... they could make a yoga gurus cry!) :D

KEN!! Great to hear from you man! :) Thanks, the "kids" are all doing very well -- Martin takes such good care of them... sometimes I think I should paint myself green to get some attention around here! ;)

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And I would be willing to bet that you would get it!;)
    I know if I came home and my lady was painted green it would definitely get my attention!
    Hmmmm! A green skinned redhead?:cool:
    Fascinating!;)

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Wasn't the green woman in that Star Trek episode a red head?? (can't remember the episode)

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is exactly what my husband is always saying!!!:D:D

20. BlackJack

I was just going to say that!! :p Do you mean the Orion Animal Woman? They were in a few episodes "The Cage", "Whom Gods Destroy" and I think they were in DS9 as well. (Some kind of exotic dancer)
    Actually I think they had black hair but really red lipstick! ;)
    That probably would get some attention!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.