This Disappears When Logged In

Under Tank Heat pads

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by MAM, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAM

MAM Active Member

not sure where to put this question, mods feel free to move as need. i bought a small one to put on my gecko tank since i'm moving him into the bedroom where it is much cooler than the rest of the house (i have a heat lamp for him but i worry it won't be enough). i have two concerns. one: since he tends to spend most of his time on the walls of tank when he's active, and in his hide when he's not, where would be the best place to attach this heat mat? should i put itunder his hide or should i put it under the side where i keep a flat rock under the heat lamp for basking???
    two: do these get hot enough that if he fell asleep on it or just stepped on the glass where its under, could he burn his little sticky toes or belly??? how hot do these things get???

2. Todd

Todd Elite Member

If its an aquarium, I would put the heat pad under the glass and monitor the temperatures.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Under-tank heating pads can be moderately warm or extremely hot, it depends on the make and manufacturer. It's best to use them outside the tank rather than in, esp. with lizards, and a thermostat would be a good idea to ensure the temp stays constant and the appliance doesn't overheat.

What bulb do you use at present? Does it stay on all the time, or just during the day? What wattage is it? Perhaps you could measure the temps in the tank when you move it into the new room, before putting the heat pad in, to make sure you will need it. It may stay warm enough?

:)

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

we too keep our under the tank, and provide hides on both the cool and warm side for thermoregulation

5. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

i keep my on the underside also,i have a rock on top of it so he can`t come into contact with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.